Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Otto Link and Berg Larsen moutpiece identification

Hey all. I'm trying to get some relevant info and approximate value, year, etc. for these three mouthpieces. New to the scene so don't know much about them. Based on the research i've already done the "master link four star" is late 20's or early 30's. The other Otto is later 30's. That's about as far as i've got. Any help is thanked much.

View attachment 203234 View attachment 203242 View attachment 203250 View attachment 203258 View attachment 203266

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,922 Posts
Some more pics are needed, no value can be put on these without seeing how messed around they are so you need to post pics of the tip rails, facings chamber etc.

Also, a better thread title would be good, looks a bit like click bait as if there is some joke...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,432 Posts
If the Berg is original (the bite insert has been replaced but I mean the facing) it would be a desired type, 105/3 offset M, from the late '50s or so. That's a good facing for many players as opposed to an .080 or .140 for example.

·
Administrator
17,284 Posts
Your oldest Otto Link is a Four**** model with tip size 4. It's produced between 1935 and 1940. Depending on state it can be between 350 and 500 USD.

The other Otto Link is a first model Tone Master with original ligature, produced between 1940 and 1946. I could find the tip size on your pictures (it should be on the table). Depending on state the value can be between 400 and 600 USD.

See for more information about Otto Link mouthpieces this thread:
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...etal-quot-Otto-Link-Identification-quot-chart

I don't know enough about Berg Larsen mouthpieces, but it looks your piece has some issues at the rails. Value could be 250 to 400 USD, depending on state.

Prices are all rough guesses!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Also, a better thread title would be good, looks a bit like click bait as if there is some joke...
Exactly so... I clicked on it to hear the punch line.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Re: Otto Link and Berg Larsen moutpiece identification

Hey all. I'm trying to get some relevant info and approximate value, year, etc. for these three mouthpieces. New to the scene so don't know much about them. Based on the research i've already done the "master link four star" is late 20's or early 30's. The other Otto is later 30's. That's about as far as i've got. Any help is thanked much.

View attachment 203234 View attachment 203242 View attachment 203250 View attachment 203258 View attachment 203266
The Links aren't worth much at all unless you get someone that doesn't know any better, they're not players, just doorstops. I don't know about the Bergs, I never thought much about them but you might be able to sell it. Phil Barone

·
7,904 Posts
Otto Link and Berg Larsen walk into a bar.
Otto says to Berg “hey, what’s with the crooked face?”.
Berg replies “my face isn’t crooked, it’s just your distorted view from your concave table”.
Otto replies”my table may be concave, but at least I don’t lie about my size”.

·
Administrator
17,284 Posts
The Links aren't worth much at all unless you get someone that doesn't know any better, they're not players, just doorstops.
Some guys could get decent sounds out of them (early Lester Young, Herschel Evans, Ben Webster, early Coleman Hawkins, early Dexter Gordon, early Johnny Griffin, Illinois Jacquet, early Arnett Cobb, to just name a few). :bluewink:

Otto Link and Berg Larsen walk into a bar.
Otto says to Berg “hey, what’s with the crooked face?”.
Berg replies “my face isn’t crooked, it’s just your distorted view from your concave table”.
Otto replies”my table may be concave, but at least I don’t lie about my size”.
:mrgreen:

·
7,904 Posts
Some guys could get decent sounds out of them (early Lester Young, Herschel Evans, Ben Webster, early Coleman Hawkins, early Dexter Gordon, early Johnny Griffin, Illinois Jacquet, early Arnett Cobb, to just name a few). :bluewink:
I think I get a halfway decent sound from my Masterlink and 4**** Baritone pieces.
Leo Parker did alright with his too.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
There's no way they'd compete with a more modern one and the volume will never be there. Phil Barone

·
Administrator
17,284 Posts
There's no way they'd compete with a more modern one and the volume will never be there. Phil Barone
I know Phil (I own a big vintage Link collection), but to state that "they're not players, just doorstops" is just a bit over the top (I know some very small tip ones can be doorstops).

Guys like Cobb and Jacquet could scream on those old Tone Master in the 40's Lionel Hampton band. I know those old bands where a bit less loud than what's happening today and they probably also had their Links opened up a bit, but they sounded huge. Cobb changed to a 10 tip Florida STM in the 50's, but Jacquet stayed on his old Tone Master (tip around a 7) and I've seen him many times live playing very loud on that piece.

·
7,904 Posts
Alright, but you don't think he got that rockin sound on Rollin with Leo on that piece do you? At least I can't imagine it. Phil Barone
I don’t know.
Unfortunately there is very little information available on Leo Parker.
Perhaps his Masterlink was modified?
Mines been opened to .110 and I can get a reasonably beefy sound from it.
It’s not overly loud though.
And I don’t have a fraction of his abilities.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
I don’t know.
Unfortunately there is very little information available on Leo Parker.
Perhaps his Masterlink was modified?
Mines been opened to .110 and I can get a reasonably beefy sound from it.
It’s not overly loud though.
And I don’t have a fraction of his abilities.
Yeah, and I think he died young too. There's nothing about him around and he was amazing. Phil

·
Registered
8,031 Posts
Re: Otto Link and Berg Larsen moutpiece identification

The Links aren't worth much at all unless you get someone that doesn't know any better, they're not players, just doorstops. I don't know about the Bergs, I never thought much about them but you might be able to sell it. Phil Barone
Brecker could make a “doorstop” play.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts