Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I played on tenor all the Link models from 4**** to - early babbitt

are the alto Links the same ?

So the brightest Link alto is the early babbitt?

·
Administrator
17,279 Posts
I have played and own all metal models for Tenor, but only played a modern STM on alto.

But I think the generic characteristics per tenor model also apply to alto.

That will make the Florida's and EB's the more bright sounding models.

Look at the baffle, each mouthpiece can be a bit different (even between the makes of the same model).

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I've played everything from Resochamber up on tenor, and Double Ring/Slant up for alto. I find the Florida STMs for alto (esp no USA) to be really bright and compact, much moreso than EB. So I don't think similar trends apply from tenor to alto.

·
Administrator
17,279 Posts
I've played everything from Resochamber up on tenor, and Double Ring/Slant up for alto. I find the Florida STMs for alto (esp no USA) to be really bright and compact, much moreso than EB. So I don't think similar trends apply from tenor to alto.
Sugaki, in my experience with tenor pieces I also find some Florida no USA's brighter than EB's, that's why I also mentioned them in my first reply. But, as mentioned, it also depends strongly on the individual mouthpiece/baffle shape.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Sugaki, in my experience with tenor pieces I also find some Florida no USA's brighter than EB's, that's why I also mentioned them in my first reply. But, as mentioned, it also depends strongly on the individual mouthpiece/baffle shape.
What I meant to say was that I find the Florida STMs considerably brighter and compact than the EBs on alto as a general rule, whereas with No USA tenors it depends on the baffle shape and vintage (latter No USAs seem to have more of a shelf than rollover and I find them to be milder). Even then I still find my EB Link to be brighter than the No USAs I've tried. My main on tenor is a serial-numbered No USA.

Modern alto Tone Edges still have that annoying sinkhole in the baffle, but I like how the modern regular STMs sound, moreso than vintage Floridas because I find them a bit too bright. Vintage slants do sound nice, and aren't as bright as EB Tone Edges.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,710 Posts
My alto Intrepid...big link tone...lots of color and plenty of edge.

It makes older horns very happy as well via intonation.

Let me know if you want to try one. Im in France so no customs hassle.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great! thanks for the input , now I know more !

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found a STM 6* with serialnumber early Florida , great player , and not dark or mellow .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts