Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who is playing a Link 7* with an orange Rico 3 1/2? I guess this is the most "in the middle" set up. I tried many many mpc's but always come back to this set up...

·
Banned
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sigmund451 said:
The 7* is Babbitts best selling size of a Link. You will find some, but fewer people with an interest in Orange box ricos.
They don't last to long, but I find the character of the orange rico's by far the best. I would like them to make these with the quality of the Select's...

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
I thought 6* was the best selling. The 2000 STM only came in a 6*.

[My mistake, the Link 2000 was a 7*. So 7* probably is the most requested size.]

·
Registered
141 Posts
I am playing the Otto Link NY STM 6* and love it. Tried many diff reeds. My choice are Vandoren ZZ #3. Just got a Yamaha YTS-62 off ebay and love it. Is there any real difference between the NY STM and regular STM. I was thinking of trying the regular STM in 7*. Looking for a little more resistance and centered tone.

·
Registered
110 Posts
orange box ricos

Sivarix said:
They don't last to long, but I find the character of the orange rico's by far the best. I would like them to make these with the quality of the Select's...
For what it is worth, i have heard that hemke's are basically orange box ricos with a file cut and better cane. you might give them a try. how true that is about the hemke's i don't know, but the guy who told me that is a good friend and for the most part knows what he is talking about, and he also has had some direct contact with fred hemke, so he may be correct.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Use whatever works for you. One of my teachers uses Rico Orange or Rico Royals when his normal reed brand isn't available.....so.....

But as for that being a middle of the road thing, yeah. I've soon SO many players who say they use a 7* and the reed equivalent of Rico 3 1/2 (be it Hemke, RJS 3M, LaVoz Medium, Vandoren 3's....etc etc....).

·
Banned
269 Posts
I keep getting back to a Link 6* and orange rico's (3-3,5). They don't last very long, you guys are right, but I'm using that Reed Vitalizer thingy from Rico now and they last a lot longer! Orange Rico's are great, but they shouldn't dry out I think.

Greetz!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts