Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am a tenor saxophonist, sorry about not replying to my other forums, I decided on the Viking Saxophone, and I love it. If you want me to do a review on it sometime, I'd be happy to.

Me being a tenor saxophonist, I realized in the world, there aren't always gonna be tenor saxoohone parts, so what instruments should I get to double? I can also play Clarinet, Trumpet, and Guitar, and I am getting a flute, and will probably invest in a bass flute later.

Should I get the other saxophones; soprano, alto, and baritone?

Thanks for any input

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Hi Esayo,
I have a Viking as well and I love mine, too. In my opinion, the best thing to do is to learn to transpose up one step and then you can play off of any concert pitch, treble clef music. If you need a different voice, I think that the soprano sax would be a good choice, as would flute.
Greg

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
On Tenor, common doubles are: Flute, Bb soprano clarinet, Bb soprano sax, sometimes Bass Clarinet, sometimes oboe.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,713 Posts
Me being a tenor saxophonist, I realized in the world, there aren't always gonna be tenor saxophone parts...
Whoa right there! Whaddaya mean there aren't enough parts? Our big band is so tenor-centric that I'm worn out after a gig. Spent.

That aside, the doubles that I choose for color are soprano sax and alto flute. I play flute as required and love the instrument that I bought from Bruce Bailey, but alto flute has such a unique flavor to it, that it has been getting a lot of my attention this past couple years. My daughter has taken up flute, so to "level" the playing field a wee bit, I will often play alto flute on flute duets and transpose my part from the C-flute.

If you are still in the early years of the tenor, try not to dilute your studies too much. Focus on developing and maintaining a strong tenor voice.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,990 Posts
Whoa right there! Whaddaya mean there aren't enough parts? Our big band is so tenor-centric that I'm worn out after a gig. Spent.

There is a term for this: "GOOD GIG".

+10 on focusing on tenor. Get good at comping. Adding in subtle things, even moving whole notes begind the vocal, and you will become indispensable. Where i play...

Every song has a tenor part!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts