Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use a Meyer mouthpiece (tip no. 10, same as Otto Link no. 7) on my Martin Handcraft Fase II Tenor
with a Vandoren Java Green reed 2.5.
I like the strong creamy sound with that combo, but after a week of so the sound gets weaker en weaker and dies out a bit.
The same effect occurs with my Phil-tone Otto Link Custom no. 7

I wonder if its better to get a stronger reed (3.0) or a different kind of reed?
Like to hear some suggestions!

JohnMartin

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,164 Posts
Re: (Other) Reed on a Meyer tenor moutpiece?

I wonder if its better to get a stronger reed (3.0) or a different kind of reed?
I wouldn't go to a stronger reed to cure something that might be another issue. It could just be the reed is getting worn out, or may be you are biting too hard - using too much jaw rather than lip pressure.

basically I'm not a fan of using harder reeds to solve problems, I prefer to work at being able to use soft reeds and find the actual cause. very often you find this be y asking people on the internet, you may need a teacher in the room with you to diagnose properly.

But, it's worth trying different reeds. You can't really go on recommendations, you can only tell by you personally trying them on your setup.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008-2017
2,239 Posts
¿Java Reds? Same strength.

Though for me a week is what reeds last.

I use a Meyer mouthpiece (tip no. 10, same as Otto Link no. 7) on my Martin Handcraft Fase II Tenor
with a Vandoren Java Green reed 2.5.
I like the strong creamy sound with that combo, but after a week of so the sound gets weaker en weaker and dies out a bit.
The same effect occurs with my Phil-tone Otto Link Custom no. 7

Like to hear some suggestions!

JohnMartin

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: (Other) Reed on a Meyer tenor moutpiece?

Thanks for yor reply Pete. I take your advise seriously. Biting is sometimes an issue for me. I will try a mouthpiece with a smaller tip (which I have: an original Martin) with the Vandoren 2,5 and will see of the biting becomes les.
I wouldn't go to a stronger reed to cure something that might be another issue. It could just be the reed is getting worn out, or may be you are biting too hard - using too much jaw rather than lip pressure.

basically I'm not a fan of using harder reeds to solve problems, I prefer to work at being able to use soft reeds and find the actual cause. very often you find this be y asking people on the internet, you may need a teacher in the room with you to diagnose properly.

But, it's worth trying different reeds. You can't really go on recommendations, you can only tell by you personally trying them on your setup.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your reaction Zorreperro. I have tried the red ones, but like the green ones better.
I think a week for a reed to wear out is much to quick, of course it depands on how many houres you play.quit
¿Java Reds? Same strength.

Though for me a week is what reeds last.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008-2017
2,239 Posts
I like green ones better, too.

All the best,

JI

Thanks for your reaction Zorreperro. I have tried the red ones, but like the green ones better.
I think a week for a reed to wear out is much to quick, of course it depands on how many houres you play.quit

1 - 6 of 6 Posts