Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I'm a jazz alto player and am looking to always find new cats to listen to. I am influenced primarily by Cannonball (obviously) and Kenny G. (The real Kenny G - Kenny Garrett. :)) I enjoy Jaleel Shaw's playing and Steve Wilson as well. Any other people worth checking out? Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
11,501 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "modern" when you include Cannonball who laser some 36 years ago. If you're looking back a bit and are leaning toward bop / post bop try Jackie Maclean and Art Pepper. If you want to stretch your envelop with some more current sounds, try a little Gerald Albright and some Antonio Hart. Always, Always include Jesse Davis!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, thanks. Yes, Cannonball is of course more of a legend, but I enjoy more modern players following in his footsteps. I am already a fan of Antonio Hart. Great ideas and sound. I am not familiar with Jesse Davis, so I will check him out. Thanks!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Steve Coleman, Miguel Zenon, Myron Walden, Achille Succi, John Zorn, Rudresh M (don't know how to spell his last name), Kaum Quartet (4 altos blending multi phonics and extended techniques), Vincent Herring

·
Registered
251 Posts
David Binney

·
Registered
361 Posts
Phil Woods. While not exactly a "modern" saxist, he's been a big influence on those that are. You can't listen to him without being in awe of his technique and ability to work through the most difficult of changes with ease.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Bobby Watson, Dick Oatts, Eric Han, Vincent Herring, Pacquito D'Rivera, Lee Konitz, Brandon Fields, Maceo Parker, Stefano Di Battista...some other great alto players who don't get mentioned as often! There's a lot of great alto players out there...older and younger cats!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
Vincent Herring. He played with Nat Adderley doing a bunch of Cannonball's repertoire. Plays in Cannonball Legacy Band led by Adderley's old drummer, Louis Hayes as well as the Kind of Blue tribute band led by Jimmy Cobb where he plays the role of Cannonball. If you're looking for a modern guy with a huge Cannonball influence, he's the guy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts