Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
Very interesting! I like the flow of the piece and your tone when playing PP is very beautiful. Very noticeable fast vibrato on the longer notes and when playing F. Doesn't bother me too much but I know that it can irritate others.

There is another sax (barely picked up in the recording). Although this is a live recording it's kind of strange to have a second sax that's cut so far out from the microphone. Somebody you wish wasn't there? Probably would have been a better composition if there wasn't the second sax.

Good control in your playing with the occasional Gato Barbieri style blast of mayhem. Nice composition with the percussion. Lots of space. Since it's mainly you, it would have added interest to modulate and use a few other chords/keys for a piece this long.

Nice feel and certainly not trying to copy or sound like anyone else in particular. Full marks for originality.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Wade for taking the time to listen and reply.
My tone is what I have been working on recently a lot so I appreciate your comment.
As for the vibrato, each to his/her own, but sometimes I do go "over the top" in an Ayler style...
By the way there is no 2nd sax it is just us as a trio, the sounds that you are hearing are coming from the cello and / or combination of sax and cello.
This is all work in progress, open formed composition/improvisation to be played in a chamber jazz style and I am sure as time progresses it will get better and the musical stories told will take on new forms and meanings and maybe not so meandering without changes.
Thanks for taking the time to listen/respond/read. Happy Blowin' :)

·
Registered
536 Posts
Very nice playing, it's good to hear someone using such a wide dynamic range. I enjoyed also the way you were playing with pitch, both small slides and wide glissandi. I also think the cello level was too low on the recording- were you using a pickup mike? These are normally very successful on cello. It was hard to hear what he was doing sometimes. I quite liked the fast vibrato and your tone was excellent throughout. Perhaps it was just the recording levels (and I am listening on a computer soundcard), but you seemed to be much the dominant voice in this piece, remember you don't have to play all the time. I'm not trying to be critical- I enjoyed it very much. Thanks for posting

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the comments Rolltrane.
Yes there was a pickup/DI Box on the cello, the recording posted was a quick mix done after the gig on the night (not a good idea but I wanted to hear what we had done)
Although the sound is not perfect I do believe that it is a good representation of the music played (this was the last piece of the evening)
I do now have files of 3 tracks consisting of 1. Cello only (clean) 2. Drums (with some sax) 3. Sax (with some cello) so I do intend to do a better..?? mix at some point of the entire gig.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts