Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have seen a Orsi curved sopranino on E-bay. Anyone have experience/knowledge about these? Rather expensive if not a very fine instrument. R&C also make a curvy sopranino...also not cheap but reportedly a fine horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,269 Posts
A cousin-by-marriage of mine has one. I've heard him play it. I also came across one in a deceased jazzer's estate-giveaway event four years ago, but another musician there wanted it and I gladly let him take it. I have no desire for a 'nino in any shape but I'm guessing the curved Orsi would be nice enough if a 'nino is what one wants. DAVE

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just noted that the seller is a member here and offering it in the for sale section. Maybe he'd take a reasonable offer? I have four excellent sopraninos, so I may not be the right customer unless selling at novelty price. An unknown (to me) sopranino that's a curvy seems like a novelty anyway. It's also a way to make you look very large (compared to the horn).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,269 Posts
Yes, that's what my cousin uses his for - part of his act. Oh, it is a serious instrument and he plays it well. It is just that a curved 'nino has a limited appeal and limited uses.

I'm not trying to be critical of sopraninos. I once owned one (a very nice straight R&C). I just had no use for it after trying it, thinking I would. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Sax Historian
468 Posts
I have both a curved Orsi (LA Sax version) and a new Rampone curved sopranino. The Orsi is fully functional and usable, but the Rampone is a definitely superior instrument in build quality, ergonomics, tuning and tone.
Paul Cohen

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Goodmorning from Italy .
Yes Curved Nino Orsi is a good instruments , probably (or surely) not comparabile to Rampone&Cazzani , but the build quality is good and the intonation is not problematic even though talking about a Sopranino.
Sopranino is not a sax for everyone, but if you want it , this is a good opportunity, cheap compared to a R&C.
And yes, i open here to a reasonable offer :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts