Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Distinguished Colorful Mouthpiece Designer
1,019 Posts
It looks quite old (discolorations) with a narrow tip rail and thick rails (in particular the left one looks wider than the right one). Nevertheless 3.75 Euro is a good price. Be shure there is enough material in the baffle area, it will help a lot during a refacing and you probably will need a refacing on that piece in order to maximize its performances.

Stan

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,678 Posts
The slanted "Otto Link" logo on the back is where the moniker "Slant Sig" comes from.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if you had seen the fake slants that the other guy was selling (they were discused here 2-3months ago) they also had the slant logo and everything..
I don't know, it is something on this mpc that strikes me with some resemblance to those pieces..

·
34,678 Posts
Ah, thanks, bbb. I did not recall that thread.

·
Registered
583 Posts
The rail, tip and table are untouched,The tip rail is difficult to replicate. There appears to be a line across the base of the table but this may be from the reed.
The drop from the top of the piece to the base of the beak is correct. The baffle inside the beak is scooped out no rollover baffle. It is the drop of the beak and the scooped baffle which gives the larger broader Slant sound it also requires more air to support. You do not want a lot of meat in the beak it is this thinness that gives the slant its resonance, later production is thicker thus deader or dull.
Cannot tell the lenght of the shank but you can determine year of production by lenght and the curve at the end.
The engraving is correct, original it is hard to explain but it is because of the edges of the inscription. :cool:

·
Registered
583 Posts
bbbouklas said:
if you had seen the fake slants that the other guy was selling (they were discused here 2-3months ago) they also had the slant logo and everything..
I don't know, it is something on this mpc that strikes me with some resemblance to those pieces..
The fake links you mention did not have the correct beak drop. The engraving was good but not correct. :cool:

·
34,678 Posts
Great info, Tonehole. Thanks.

Might there be comparison pictures saved somewhere showing these differences?

·
Banned
26 Posts
Slant?

Looks like there is a "ding" on the tip rail (left side). Can't see the baffle well enough to tell if it is a Slant. That is truly black dog hair on the carpet.

·
Registered
583 Posts
waSax said:
Looks like there is a "ding" on the tip rail (left side). Can't see the baffle well enough to tell if it is a Slant. That is truly black dog hair on the carpet.
The baffle or rollover occurs in the 1st 10mm or 1/2inch of the tip. There is none visible in the picture because there is not one.
Very obvious. :cool:
The ding is a small chip which is of no concern because I assume he is going to have it refaced. It likely does not affect play as it is.

waSax are you confusing chamber with baffle ??

Check the difference between these two mouthpieces and you can see the difference in beak drop.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Tenor-Otto-Link...2QQihZ001QQcategoryZ38112QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
As opposed to this early true Babbit ( almost a Slant Link , I would need to have it in my hands to say for sure but this looks like a good one).
http://cgi.ebay.com/Tenor-Otto-Link...6QQihZ001QQcategoryZ38112QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The beak drop is shown in the side profile picture. Picture on the far right.

I would buy this early Babbit before the piece in question as it appears to have no rollover baffle which many early Babbits have. It might be a little constricted but..... What the Hell it might be well worth the ride.:twisted:

·
Banned
26 Posts
Confusion

Tonehole said:
The baffle or rollover occurs in the 1st 10mm or 1/2inch of the tip. There is none visible in the picture because there is not one.
Very obvious. :cool:
The ding is a small chip which is of no concern because I assume he is going to have it refaced. It likely does not affect play as it is.

waSax are you confusing chamber with baffle ??

Check the difference between these two mouthpieces and you can see the difference in beak drop.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Tenor-Otto-Link...2QQihZ001QQcategoryZ38112QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
As opposed to this early true Babbit ( almost a lonk , I would need to have it in my hands to say for sure but this looks like a good one).
http://cgi.ebay.com/Tenor-Otto-Link...6QQihZ001QQcategoryZ38112QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The beak drop is shown in the side profile picture. Picture on the far right.

I would buy this early Babbit before the piece in question as it appears to have no rollover baffle which many early Babbits have. It might be a little constricted but..... What the Hell it might be well worth the ride.:twisted:
I'm not confused, you are. I said nothing about the chamber and only said that I could not see the baffle clearly enough to see if it was a Slant type. I did not know that the piece was going to be refaced or I would not have mentioned the "ding" on the tip rail on the L/H side of the tip rail.

·
Registered
583 Posts
waSax said:
I'm not confused, you are. I said nothing about the chamber and only said that I could not see the baffle clearly enough to see if it was a Slant type.
:D No harm no foul. I went back and reviewed the pictures, there are 2 very clear pictures of the tip. The pictures of the tip especially the one on the slant ( pun intended ) are clear enough for me to make a call.

The beak drop makes it a certainty for me. :cool:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts