Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my SBA altos is having the original large dome-shape metal resonators. I suspect this little trick makes this horn brighter than my other SBA (with close serial number). The other SBA alto has smaller dish-like resonators with a small knob in the middle - the tone is darker. I prefer darker tone.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Maybe . . . maybe not. I'm not convinced that different types of resos provide different sounds. The discussion about resos vs. tone is much like finish vs. tone. It can't be proven (or disproven, I suppose).

Most saxophones have a natural variance, even among similar brands and models. To prove that a certain resonator does a certain thing, one would need to test MANY similar saxophones, record the results, dis-assemble, re-pad, re-test, etc., etc. The re-pad process alone ruins any objective assessment.

To compare just two horns of the same model is NOT an objective test of the premise, in my view. That one SBA sounds dark and another SBA sounds bright is way too subjective (few can even agree as to what is dark and what is bright) and even if so, no one can say why that is so, just that one sounds different from the other.

I'd be inclined to re-pad using the products that were originally used by the factory when the horn was first assembled, if they are still available. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,323 Posts
My SBA has Roo pads with big dome resonators and sounds rich and dark.

·
1,936 Posts
I'm selling my SBA alto on ebay right now and I had it repadded with selmer metal domed resonators and use them on all my horns...they are my favorite. I think they sound great, especially with a Dukoff D9 and 3 Rico

·
1,337 Posts
ppamhk said:
One of my SBA altos is having the original large dome-shape metal resonators. I suspect this little trick makes this horn brighter than my other SBA (with close serial number). The other SBA alto has smaller dish-like resonators with a small knob in the middle - the tone is darker. I prefer darker tone.

Check pad height diff between the two and also type & conditon of pad material. Both can make a noticeable difference, and may explain what's going on with your two horns.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts