Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 50s Selmer alto which has pads without resonators
and at the edge of the pads it looks like they are sprayed with lacquer.

I think this indicates these are the original first pads ?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,935 Posts
Yes - unless someone was clever enough to put old pads in it and spray their sides with lacquer.

Yes.

On the other hand, what happened to the resonators???

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Got some pictures you can share? It'll help.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,196 Posts
Which'll mean that it's not original lacquer and probably not original pads.

(Saxes are usually lacquered prior to pads etc being fitted. )

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,935 Posts
I've seen original Selmers with lacquer overspray on the sides of the pads - that's not a surprise.

I am more surprised to see horns of that period without resonators.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,811 Posts
none of the pics show...........
use a hosting site for the pics and post the links

·
8,588 Posts
Well, nothing about the engraving suggests that's anything other than the original finish, and pads with lacquer on the edges aren't unusual.

No pics of the center of the pads though, so I couldn't see if it had resonators or not.

·
Forum Contributor 2007-2012, Distinguished SOTW Te
3,314 Posts
Can you share more photos? Especially of the center of the pads where the resonators would be. From the photos, it is hard to tell if there are or aren't any.

It would have had resonators. Getting those resonators out without removing the pads or removing the pads, removing the resonators, and then re-installing the original pads would have been a major, major pain. So my vote goes to non-original pads if it really doesn't have any resonators. Pads also look to be the wrong color- when a Selmer has original pads the age plus the lacquer tends to give it a darker and slightly redder look. (I've worked on lots of Selmers with original pads, in fact doing one right now)

The engraving seems pretty crisp, but the lacquer color looks weird- even if one of these is left in its case, after 60+ years the lacquer tends to darken. Also the lacquer is strangely not wearing at all around the engraving. The rods and screws are also still very bright. Sharp edges on everything. Strange. OP, is the color in the pictures the color you see in person?

More photos and I can help- take photos with and without flash, close-ups (use the macro function, especially on engraving and around post feet and the scrollwork around the bell-to-bow and bell-to-body braces), high-res, and put 'em in a Picasa folder and share the link here.

·
8,588 Posts
No way those are original pads. If there is lacquer on them, and it looks like there is, then it's been resprayed after a pad job with the wrong pads.

·
Forum Contributor 2007-2012, Distinguished SOTW Te
3,314 Posts
Interesting! Not original pads. It has been played a fair amount- see wear on the side keys.

The lacquer color bothers me- but it looks like it might be darker than it appears in the ebay photos from your picasa photo of the pads. I do not immediately see any obvious signs of relacquering. More photos that are not the ebay photos might tell me more.

For some color comparisons, see these:

(the one I am working on right now)63k: http://www.getasax.com/product_info...ucts_id=196&osCsid=hb97lg851nqtgc5fd608rc9cl5

About as original a VI as you'll ever see, 77k: http://www.getasax.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_30&products_id=174

So, how does the horn play?

·
Banned
593 Posts
i had my 62 selmer alto in for service and was told the laquer on the side of the pads is a way to identify that they are original pads. he said they applied the laquer after they were assembled and that is the overspray. he said if they didnt have that, you would think it might have had an overhaul. he recommended not replacing all the pads and onl replaced 2.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts