Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this the original case for a Conn 6M/Transitional from 1933? I was told so when I bought the horn but would like to verify that. If it is original I will keep it, but otherwise probably not. It is in very good shape on the inside. The pictures are a bit dark but hopefully someone who knows will see enough to be able to decide.

View attachment 221416 View attachment 221418 View attachment 221420

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,887 Posts
It looks “ original” to me in as much as that this was the sort of case where your horn might have come in. Cases, until many years ago, were not necessarily standardized and it was possible (I’ve certainly seen also nicer cases too) to have options (as for most things in the golden era of Conn) when buying the horn. I had pretty much the same horn and it came in a case like that, but then again I have also seen dark tan colored ones and the velvet being in different colors.

A case like this is however only really suited to keep the horn at home or to use it for display purposes (but it looks pretty battered for a museum display). I would not carry my saxophone around in this case (or any other old cases for that matter). So, in the end, it becomes another thing to put in the attic and with the sole purpose to sell the horn with its “original case” .

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The case is a bit scabby on the outside, but the inside is actually very good and the horn is relly well supported and fits tight.

·
38,887 Posts
the support an two ends ( but not in the middle) is precisely why these kind of case is responsible for a lot of the bent horns that one sees.

the middle part of the horn (exactly where the brace is) is a very sensitive area. All you need is a good hit or a number of softer ones to bend the horn in the middle.

But again if you are happy... I knew someone whom had a soprano and carried it on his parcels holder rack on the back of his bicycle. After years it was completely banana shaped. For his 70th birthday a repairer gave him, as a present, an overhaul which included straightening.

Had this gentleman used a modern protective case (I favor Protec) which is hard abut envelops the entire horn with padding, the chance of bending would have been greatly reduced.

To each his own.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
That case is definitely period correct. My 236xxx came in the common 20s case. It's similar but without spring loaded clasps. Get a protec and put that one in the closet.

·
38,887 Posts
closet case

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
The outside can be fixed. Use some Elmer's wood filler on the torn spots, sand and spray some vinyl paint in semi-gloss black on it. Buy a new handle and you are set. Don't throw it out, worth some money.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the support an two ends ( but not in the middle) is precisely why these kind of case is responsible for a lot of the bent horns that one sees.

the middle part of the horn (exactly where the brace is) is a very sensitive area. All you need is a good hit or a number of softer ones to bend the horn in the middle.
Milandro, in this case (haha...) you are actually wrong. It has very good support in the middle of the tube, both at the bottom and on the sides.

·
38,887 Posts
I am happy for you that I was wrong. Mine had certainly none of that while it did have the slotting for the receiver.

Still, several decades of technology would not work in favor of old cases compared to new ones and the only reason to keep one, for me, would be for collector’s purposes.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I get the point. I have modern cases for my other horns. I just think it is cool that this is original and still pretty good. Good enough to use. I will not exactly be touring with it.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I have the original case for my 1927 Conn alto ( only four years difference ) and barring a few things on the interior it looks almost identical. The small box has a hasp on the side instead of a clasp on the front, the support at the back of the horn is much shorter and the support for the bell is shorter, solid and does not form a pocket like yours. But the size , shape and colour of velour are all the same and given Conn's tendency to change things on the fly, I would presume your case is original.I use mine to transport my horn but then I never let it out of my sight, don't use a bicycle or hand it over to baggage handlers on planes so... YMMV.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts