Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang! Everyone in my immediate family except for me has recently relocated to beautiful Salem, Oregon, and I'll be spending a week there in late September. While I've spent a fair amount of time in Portland with family, I've never actually been to any music venues or gone to hear any of the local jazz players, and I'd like to do that since I'll be spending more time there. I know there are several prominent Oregon members and I'd love some tips on where to go, who to check out, if there are any cool residencies and/or sessions, that kind of thing. I'm very much looking forward to spending more time on the other side of the continent in my very favorite state (which Oregon has been since I was a kid) and away from the big, smelly, wonderful, frustrating, inspiring, maddening apple. :)

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Unfortunately, the main spot to see jazz in Portland was Jimmy Mak's, which just closed down. However, a new place called The Jack London Revue just opened recently:

https://www.dailyemerald.com/2017/0...s-continue-historic-jazz-traditions-portland/

Of course, there are also some other venues, including a few that host jams. Forum member tenorcat knows pretty much all the places around here, so hopefully he'll contribute to this thread.

p.s. Your CD, Scattering, is excellent.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,980 Posts
There's a pretty good jazz and funk jam in Corvalis at alternating venues on Thursday nights...of course I'm drawing a blank on the two clubs that host.

·
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately, the main spot to see jazz in Portland was Jimmy Mak's, which just closed down. However, a new place called The Jack London Revue just opened recently:

https://www.dailyemerald.com/2017/0...s-continue-historic-jazz-traditions-portland/

Of course, there are also some other venues, including a few that host jams. Forum member tenorcat knows pretty much all the places around here, so hopefully he'll contribute to this thread.

p.s. Your CD, Scattering, is excellent.
Too bad about Jimmy Mak's, but I appreciate the tip on the new place! I'll check it out for sure.

And I appreciate the kind words, too. We had fun making "Scattering." I'm proud of that one. Got another one in post-production right now, should be putting it out early in the spring!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,575 Posts
Salem is home to Phil-Tone.

·
13,079 Posts
Yes I live here.

Come buy my house! It is on the market!

Great huge loft (bigger than a one car garage) that serves as my studio. (think tax deduction).

Neighboors love saxophone!

Its a lot more affordable than living in Portland (an hour away) and far less traffic. About an hour from the coast in one direction and an hour from the mountains in the other.

Phil needs to move to France.

Id probably throw in some mouthpieces :mrgreen:

Cheaper than rent!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Used to be a club in Eugene called Jazz Station. Don't know if it is still there. Mix of local talent and national acts. Could be worth checking out.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,980 Posts
Used to be a club in Eugene called Jazz Station. Don't know if it is still there. Mix of local talent and national acts. Could be worth checking out.
Jazz Station is still there. No more players on the board, but they do have several good concerts weekly and a jam on Sunday afternoon geared very heavily toward novice players. Advanced jam is no more. It seems awesome for visitors, but not so much for locals. Now very biased toward the UO program with decreasing community outreach.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts