Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and couldnt find this exact answer. I'm about to order new pads for the c melody I'm currently fixing up and had a question. I used my digital caliper and measured every cup. I measured a lot of cups that were like 26.9mm or 19.2, or 24.7. Do I go with the closest below or above that number. So for like 19.2 mm do I order 19mm pad or a 19.5mm pad?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, and another thing, with this old sax the pads were so bad I couldn't tell, should i get thin pads or what? I'm debating between the B43 and B44's on ferree's website. Which is just thier leather pads with flat resonator and rivet, but one is .160 and .185 thickness. I was thinking .160 would be what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
o sorry I spaced. This is for a buescher TT C melody, The snaps have already been removed.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
The thinner .160 pads will work the best on the Buescher. When you measured your key cups, did you measure both N - S and E - W to come up with an average measurement since key cups are often not perfectly round. I would suggest ordering pads in half millimeter sizes and rounding to the nearest .5 millimeter.

John

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep I measured n-s w-e and then one random one, and in my notes i have like 24.6-24.7. So order .160's with rivet and flat reso, and round down to the nearest .5 mm is the general consensus?

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
5,049 Posts
It's very possible that if you order let's say a 27.0 mm pad it won't be exactly that, but actually 26.9 mm or 26.8 mm, etc. So for example it's possible that a 27.0 mm might be better for the 26.9 mm key cup than a 26.5 mm pad for. If you order the closest 0.5 mm below you'll end up with most pads that fit fine and some that are one size too small. If you order from Ferree's definitely order the thinner ones as jbtsax suggests. I found almost no saxophone needs the thicker type.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
It's very possible that if you order let's say a 27.0 mm pad it won't be exactly that, but actually 26.9 mm or 26.8 mm, etc. So for example it's possible that a 27.0 mm might be better for the 26.9 mm key cup than a 26.5 mm pad for. If you order the closest 0.5 mm below you'll end up with most pads that fit fine and some that are one size too small. If you order from Ferree's definitely order the thinner ones as jbtsax suggests. I found almost no saxophone needs the thicker type.
I find that most premium pads i've used have run a little on the small size so i tend to use .5mm larger than called for. The only pad I've found that doesn't work with such a tight fit are the Jim Schmidt foil pads.

I'll go one stronger than clarnibass, the only time i use anything thicker than a .165" pad is when i'm pc'ing somebody else's overhaul with thick pads. I believe the key geometry tends to be closer to level and the pad felt more stable so it's easier to work with. and it allows for a much more positive feel.

·
Registered
25 Posts
How do you size pads when you ONLY have the Outside Key cup diameter to measure by. I am refering to a YAS61 Alto. The sax was disassembled for the measuring of the key cup and returned for performance of course after regulating.
Some say OD minus 2mm (divided by 2x measurement of thickness of the key cup) BUT I have noticed that not all key cup rim thickness are 1mm some even as thin as 0.78mm.
Saxgourmet Roo pads with maestro airtight resos would be in future fitted. Any one with insight for pad sizing in this situation or have a all correct pad size listing for the YAS61. Is there a site that has this information.
Hope this is not a hijack reply as this is urgent.
Thanks for all the help

1 - 14 of 14 Posts