Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If there's an old thread that discusses this specifically, I couldn't find it, so please point me to it.

In shopping around for Bonade ligatures, I've come up with some questions. We'll use the Alto Sax model for example, although I'm interested in several others as well. On WWBW, they have the options as nickel or brass and regular or inverted. However, on Muncy Winds, they have the options of nickel-plated, silver-plated, or gold-plated and standard, inverted, or inverted cut-out. Then I've seen other places with the option of nickel-plated or gold-lacquered. So that leaves use with:

Nickel-plated, Brass, Silver-plated, Gold-plated, and Gold-lacquered.

Since Muncy offers Silver-plated for $10 more than Nickel-plated, I'm assuming these actually are 2 different models. Also, the gold-plated is $25 more, so surely that's not the same as Gold-lacquered or brass (which is the same price as nickel-plated on WWBW)? Also, is Inverted cut-out an actual factory model or is Muncy just cutting out the middle of inverted models and charging $5 extra?

I want to keep this thread to just Bonade information, so please don't offer other suggestions. However, if you have any experience with the various Bonade models, please share, especially if you have comparison-tested various models. Thanks in advance!

--JT

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have the inverted nickel one. I love it, but it was slipping so I needed to use the thin mouthpiece patches on top.

I could be wrong, but looking at the picture it seems the cut-out version is something done by them, which they add 5 bucks to the price for.

If I had known they made a silver-plated version, I would've gotten that one. Here comes my old friend GAS...

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
The regular alto Bonnade silver plate has worked great for me since 1976.
It works on most HR mouthpieces. Selmer, Link, Meyer, RPC. It also will work for Morgan Excalibur tenor pieces.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm...I would have thought more people used Bonades. Thanks for the help, guys. I plan on trying several Alto-size models from Muncy when I get enough money. I'm looking for something for my Morgan 8EL Tenor, but also plan on trying them on my S80 C* alto and Lakey 4*4 alto. Stay tuned and any information is still welcome.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
15,901 Posts
Using a regular nickel plated alto ligature and am very satisfied with it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist / Forum Contributor 2
4,202 Posts
I've used them a lot in the past and actually had one break on me a few weeks ago. Very odd.

Nice ligatures.

·
Registered
343 Posts
To keep it from slipping take some sand paper to the rails wear it hold the reeds. Sorry i lack the technical term for it. Thats what i did to mine and it dosnt move at all.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
When these are made correctly, they are very good. Just make sure that the edges of the reed don't touch the sides of the lig!

·
Registered
343 Posts
when they were i believe it. im looking for an older one. the new ones good but umm not as responsive as the older one my friend let me borrow...

·
Registered
137 Posts
J.Max said:
When these are made correctly, they are very good. Just make sure that the edges of the reed don't touch the sides of the lig!
Well, I'm currently in the process of trying to bend it, but I've already marked it up some. I wish I had something rubber-coated to grip it with that works better than my hands...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
You might check some clarinet sites as Bonade was a clarinetist and started with mouthpieces. I have one for clarinet but never have seen one for sax!

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
SpeckledLemon said:
Well, I'm currently in the process of trying to bend it, but I've already marked it up some. I wish I had something rubber-coated to grip it with that works better than my hands...
You might try extending the ribs on the part that touches the reed. K&M makes a metal strip that works well for this (you should be able to find their stuff at any hardware store.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts