Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
let me start this discussion by saying...this is NOT a discussion about reonators not making a difference in sound,or such viewpoints....if that is the viewpoint you possess kindly STAY OUT of this discussion. I think it is widely known that the most important factor is that the dimension of the resonator must match your tone hole... if you disagree with that,you are invited to comment!

I was at the MusicMedic booth at the Musikmesse and the choices for resonators with a pad set was quite extensive.... i was told by another pad seller that plastic resonators are the originals...is that true??? both my Mark 6 and Radio improved have the chrome domed resonators. I was impressed by the hand made sterling silver resonators...but frankly dont think paying an extra 100 dollars for that option was worth it... the copper ones with ridges seem to be popular...anyone use those???

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
1,863 Posts
As a tech I tend to replace resonators like for like. When a customer wants a full repad I give them the option of fitting any resonator (not in my stock) the customer desires - at their cost. I keep the following in stock:
flat metal disc, brown plastic domed, seamless domed, riveted metal domed.
Most will opt for replacing like for like, personally I like the look of seamless domed resonators on any horn and have them fitted to both my selmers SA80 tenor and BA alto and my yanagisawa Baritone.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...im pretty sure that's what i meant i had...seamless domes.....
ok now for the dumb question...mine all have a tack or some kind of rivet at the center....is that nailed through??? the domed resonators they were selling had nothing like that.... is that how it is attached???how is it attached...do you have to drill a small hole first,or do they punch on???

im just confused because i thought pads were attached with glue sticks and i always ASSUMED the same was for the resonators as well....

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician, Forum Contributor 2
1,760 Posts
Most all pad types come with holes punched in the center. Resonators are either reatined using a rivet or the resonator has its own stem which protrudes through the hole and is retained by peening or slitting the stem, or is retained by a small flat-head screw or snap. Here's a link to MusicMedic that shows what a pad whithout a resonator looks like: http://www.musicmedic.com/catalog/products/pad-s25-97.html

Personally, I like the look and profile of MusicMedic's domed resonators and the fact that they do not require a rivet. I've had trouble with some rivets corroding after several years. In the past, I've used the Noyek Hollywood or Maestro resonators that have the ridges, but tend to stay away from them now because they protrude more into the tone hole and can cause the pad leather to not lay flat when the resonator is pulled tight against the pad surface. MusciMedic does have "Airtight" versions of these style resonators which eliminate the surface stability problem, but the smaller sized resonators have an even higher profile than the standard Maestro resonators. Some folks say that resonators with high profiles can make it difficult to set keys heights, especially over small tone holes.

So, I recommend the seemless domes. They resemble Selmer's domed resonators, they look good, are fairly inexpensive and are easy to install. I don't believe that sterling resonators will do much of anything to the sound you'll get from the horn.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanx Jorns and Griff...that's 2 votes for seamless domes the sterling silver are identical,but made of silver....

·
Registered
178 Posts
I am a big fan of the seamless flat resonators made by TenorMaddness. We can get them all custom sized to each individual tone hole and they have a screw to attach them to the pad so when the pad is changed later, the same reso can be used. But they do run over $100 for a set.

The seamless domes on black roo pads are beautiful!

·
1,863 Posts
Personally, I like the look and profile of MusicMedic's domed resonators and the fact that they do not require a rivet. ..........

So, I recommend the seemless domes. They resemble Selmer's domed resonators, they look good, are fairly inexpensive and are easy to install. I don't believe that sterling resonators will do much of anything to the sound you'll get from the horn.
the seamless domed resonators do have a rivet - its just pre fixed to the underside of the dome.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...so on my original pads(which could be VERY old) they hadnt figured that out yet and had to punch the rivet through the dome???

·
3,112 Posts
I like the seamless domed metal resonators for the simple reason they look great. I order them as standard whenever I repad a sax unless the customer wants anything different or they don't suit the instrument (such as a vintage sax which I want to keep looking as near to original as possible).

The other reasons I like them are because they're chrome plated brass so they won't rust like Selmer's ones which are chrome plated steel and as they don't have a separate rivet going through the centre it means there's no chance of water collecting in the centre and rusting the rivet if a steel rivet is used - the backing rivet on them is brass so absolutely no chance of them rusting.

·
3,112 Posts
...so on my original pads(which could be VERY old) they hadnt figured that out yet and had to punch the rivet through the dome???
It's an easier and cheaper way of fitting them - the rivet goes through the hole pre-punched through the centre of the resonator instead of being silver soldered directly to the back of it.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanx chris...that clears it up.....almost........griff and Jorns say that the stem is already installed...and you say it needs to be soldered on....are you referring to a different brand perhaps???

i wouldnt call it rust...but I do have to go in and clean my domes with a q-tip occasionally...i use calk remover,and am as careful as possible not to touch the pad....i'm hoping the chrome ones will be better

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm leaning towards the seamless domed chrome resonators...it was my original choice as they look the best...and yes ill be getting black roo(thats what I already have on my Mark6)

question is...will i have a problem getting the right dimensions for my Radio Improved???

·
3,112 Posts
thanx chris...that clears it up.....almost........griff and Jorns say that the stem is already installed...and you say it needs to be soldered on....are you referring to a different brand perhaps???
On the seamless domed resonators the rivet is already soldered (pre fixed) to the back of them and is then fitted to the pad. On domed resos with a rivet through the centre, the rivet is pushed through the resonator and the pad to hold them together.

i wouldnt call it rust...but I do have to go in and clean my domes with a q-tip occasionally...i use calk remover,and am as careful as possible not to touch the pad....i'm hoping the chrome ones will be better
On non-ferrous resonators you won't get rust - just water marks or some tarnish (if they're unplated or nickel plated), but Selmer use chrome plated steel resonators on their SA80II and SIII saxes which do indeed rust like a Lancia.

·
3,112 Posts
I'm leaning towards the seamless domed chrome resonators...it was my original choice as they look the best...and yes ill be getting black roo(thats what I already have on my Mark6)

question is...will i have a problem getting the right dimensions for my Radio Improved???
I use Saxgourmet pads with seamless domed resonators as standard as I like them and haven't had any complaints from anyone whose saxes I've repadded with them. MusicMedic have a database of most saxes so you shouldn't have a problem getting the right sizes in a set. There may be a couple or so that might not be the right size, but they do come with a guarantee and will send you out the sizes you need to complete the set.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
he doesnt have the pads listed on the site...does he carry roo pads??

·
3,112 Posts
he doesnt have the pads listed on the site
I don't know if all the sizes in a set of Balanced Acton pads will be the same as a Radio Improved - they might be, but it's best to measure the inside diameters of all the pad cups and submit them in a message immediately after you've ordered a set for 'Other (Not Listed)' stating what make and model they're for. I've done this for instruments that aren't listed and they became part of the database.

does he carry roo pads??
http://www.musicmedic.com/catalog/categories/cat_5.html

1 - 17 of 17 Posts