Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't find anything on this topic by searching --- so here goes ---

I use a Kessler OL7 HR MPC on Tenor. I used to use cane and a Rovner.
I've been using a VD Optimum on Alto and love it. It's a bit tight with Fibracells but okay.

So, I finally got an Optimum Lig for the Tenor. I think I ordered the correct size because it works okay with cane. But man, it's too tight for a Fibracell and particularly for a Bari brand reed. I don't think it will work with the Bari.

I'm guessing that I'll have to use the Rovner if I want to use the Fibracells or Bari's on this piece.

Is this wrong?
Any ideas?

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,406 Posts
BARI reeds are very thick at the table. They are also squarish in profile - so you do need something a little larger to hold it - and because of their beveled edge (instead of a rounded profile), it doesn't line up well with rigid lig plates.

I have no problem using a Vandoren Optimum with fibracells, but do have to resort to a Rovner or traditional brass double screw lig to use a BARI.

The Vandoren Optimum ligs are not very accomodating of different mouthpiece profiles - they really need to be matched fairly closely to the piece it was designed for.

You are not alone :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
EZ said:
The Vandoren Optimum ligs are not very accomodating of different mouthpiece profiles - they really need to be matched fairly closely to the piece it was designed for.

That is the one this I really hate about them. I bought one for soprano thinking I could use it for my Optimum (fits great) and my Barone, but I was wrong...

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,888 Posts
Try a Consoli...they work a lot better than Rovners...

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks EZ.

Maybe a Rovner Evo 5 might work fairly well with the Bari.
You have to ask yourself though, is using a Bari really worth all this?

My summer jazz camp sax teacher uses them with a FL Ultimate Lig and swears by them. My regular teacher swears at them. I went to a lesson early on with him and he said, "get that THING off your saxophone. You need some real cane there". Wooo boy!

:cool: :cool:

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,406 Posts
If you get the desired tone, I think there is no sacrilege in using a synthetic reed (or a Rovner Dark lig!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts