Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I'm heard very good things about these horns, but honestly, I'm ignorant of Cannonballs. Never played one yet. Would you players please be so kind as to enlighten me of their quality, sound, playing tendencies, intonation, projection, anything you'd share would be appreciated. All opinions are welcomed.

I've found a Lady Godiva Limited Edition 380/400 in the Brute Finish for $2000 I have interest in. My tenor work is with a four horn combo that's unmiked. I want to blend well with good intonation, but I still need and want some projection. I like to blast, just every now and then.

What do you folks think ? Should I have a Godiva in my future ( wow, what a statement )

thanks all, very much !!!!!

·
Registered
836 Posts
CB's are terrific horns. I have 3 and my best bud just bought his second last week. We are both pro players who studied at North Texas in the early 90's.

The Lady Godiva is from CB's Vintage Reborn series. They are terrific horns. You might try the Big Bell Stone Series horns as well. People tend to prefer one over the other. The prices are really close. The BBSS's come with 2 necks and usually cost a hundred or two more than the Vintage. The Vintages are hand engraved in Utah. The BBSS's have laser engraving.

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
The stone series has a spread sound like a Keilwerth, the Godiva is much more Selmer-like with a bigger bottom end. These production horns are only a small step under the M'Lady horn being offered by Randy at tenormadness. That's what I play.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
1,391 Posts
I have been watching that same horn on ebay too...I think you should play afew different C-Balls before buying.

·
Registered
836 Posts
The stone series has a spread sound like a Keilwerth, the Godiva is much more Selmer-like with a bigger bottom end. These production horns are only a small step under the M'Lady horn being offered by Randy at tenormadness. That's what I play.
Bill makes my point. Some folks find the Stone Series bright and spread. I find that they play that way if you want them to. But, with another mouthpiece and approach they can play dark and compact.
Here's a video I did on a Big Bell alto.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py00M4zO7H4

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I bought that Cball Vintage ten days ago and today I put my Shadow up for sale. That pretty well tells my experience. I like that Cannonball more each time I play it. It's tone is very rich and big, and the horn is just so stinkin user friendly. I still have love for my Shadow, but between the VI, the CB, and the Shadow, it's the one to go. Don't need all three in the closet.

Here's a link to it on eBay. It's a gorgeious horn, less than 9 mos old. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280664926344&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Enjoy your new sax!

The great advantage of the "Brute" finish if you like that look is that it is a raw brass finish that is not going to change much over the years like a bright raw brass finish would. I think you will find that the Cannonball folks are great to work with as well.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks jbtsax. I like the Brute finish, looks cool and youthful to me, both of which I can use a lot of ! Even the stock 5* HR CB mouthpiece works real well. I was going to sell it first thing, but after I blew it, it's back in the case !! I understand it's made in Germany and faced in the US. It seems to match the horn perfectly. Yes, I've been in contact with Randall at CB, seem to be nice folks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just bought a Lady Godiva tenor. I played 3 Mark VI's, then played the Lady. I felt the Lady was every bit as good, and maybe even a bit better than the Selmers. Superior control on low and high notes. Coupled with my Dukoff D8, she really can blast without needing a lot of support. I got #399 out of 400.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts