Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

A player recently recommended a JJ DV CHI to me. To be honest, I hadn't even heard Jody Jazz was making this model. I've found a JJ DV to be too hot, and a JJ DV NY too mellow, so it seems this CHI could have possibilities. Would you players share your experience concerning a JJ CHI. My tenor playing is with an unmiked four horn combo ( trumpet, alto, tenor, trombone ), so I need to blend well, yet still have some presence.

thanks all, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this mpc.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I liked it when I tried it. It was too expensive at the time and I have since found a better setup for my needs. If you haven't seen it, there is a video where Jody Espina plays it. Just search Jody Jazz on Youtube. It is the first video. You will see that I commented on it...

·
Registered
337 Posts
I also liked the one I sampled. It had a big sound and about the same brightness as my Bergs. I'd play one.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
There's a pretty long thread on this piece and most folks like it. I picked one up used here on SOTW and have been playing it for about 4 months now. In terms of sound it is a little brighter than my Guardala Cresent, FL Link STM, and SR Tech Titian and a little darker than my Yani 7 metal. It is also more reed friendly than any of these pieces. My experience thus far has been that you can get everything from dark and lush to medium bright with this piece just by playing different reeds and blowing in different ways. Getting a really bright fusion type sound isn't easy (at least for me) but it's fairly flexible in delivering the rest of the spectrum.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've had mine for about 6 months. I was using a regular DV previously, but wanted a less bright piece. The CHI gives me that, and keeps all the other things I like about the original DV.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I've been playing the DV CHI 7* since day one and must say, it's the finest tenor mouthpiece I've played in my 35 years of being a tenor player. Fat, rich, full, powerful, full bodied, smooth, not to bright, not too dark, just incredible. Not sure how else to describe it. Makes playing fun and this piece is simply effortless to play and control from bottom to altisimo. Once you play one, nothing else will do from my experience, and I've owned them all.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I've never tried one personally, but when I went on the JodyJazz website and checked out the piece, the guy doing the demonstration in the vids sounded just like Brecker... Not to say that the piece would for sure do that, but still I'd love to try one

·
Registered
323 Posts
I bought the DV CHI 8 and wish I had bought the 7*. It's a great mouthpiece, but a tad too big for me. I get tired before the gig is over. I'm hoping to replace it with a CHI 7* as soon as I can get my hands on one. For now, I'm playing the DV 7* on gigs.

The CHI is extremely free blowing. It's a great piece.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts