Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a beautiful vintage Haynes but am thinking about adding a newer horn. What brands, etc. do you all like?

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I played a lot of stuff between $3-$15k and ended up with a lightly used Muramatsu GX-III. I also liked the Di Zhao Handmade flutes but there are loads of really fine lightly used flutes out there. So that's what I like but don't take it from me. You're a much better flute player than I'll ever be so try as much stuff as you can get your hands on and see what impresses you.

·
Premium Member
1,156 Posts
I’ve been using a Yamaha 744 for the last 20 years with a Dana Sheridan solid silver head joint with the gold lip pate and chimney. I have used the EC head joint that came with it but the Sheridan affords that bit more depth and clarity. I’ve often thought about changing up but this does all I need for my work which includes jazz and orchestral. I did use a Powell Grenadilla head joint for a while but always came back to the Sheridan.
I know Nelson Rangel uses a Yamaha 600 series with a Drelinger head joint and sounds absolutely fabulous.
There are so many beautiful flutes out there and if I could get over the NYC to try some I would. Travel being what it is precludes that. If I was in the US I’d make full use of getting to NY and trying as many as possible. Although I’d probably end up walking out with my 774 :)
Here’s a track I recorded last year with the 774/Sheridan

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,346 Posts
You may not NEED to spend so much, although I understand the allure.

Check whether Bruce Bailey is still making/selling his flutes. They are a serious sleeper value. Talk to SimonJazzSax for a review - he is an accomplished flute player and was playing a Bailey flute with a Drelinger head for some time.

Alternatively, you may need a good alto flute more than you realize. :whistle:

·
Registered
T880, YTS-82Z; B991; 'Crat 1 alto
1,287 Posts
I have a beautiful vintage Haynes but am thinking about adding a newer horn. What brands, etc. do you all like?
I am unable to answer your question, but it leads me to ask a question of my own.
You used the term “horn” in this context to mean a flute.
I am familiar with using that term in the context of saxophones, trumpets, etc., but is it common to use it in reference to a flute?
I’m just curious, as I would not have associated that term with a flute.
(But then, I am fairly ignorant about many things.)

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,474 Posts
I am unable to answer your question, but it leads me to ask a question of my own.
I am familiar with using that term in the context of saxophones, trumpets, etc., but is it common to use it in reference to a flute?
In some areas of the world the term 'horn' applies to any wind instrument.

·
Registered
MKVI Alto Berg-95/0
474 Posts
Guitars can be horns as well.
That's what happens if you practice and can blow chords like a flute blows note after note. (y)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,538 Posts
I would recommend a used Muramatsu. I've seen many in that price range. I'm a fan of Sankyo products - also easily found in this price range. The old high-wave head joints are really good fun.

I recently tested a fairly high-range brand new Yamaha (600-series, I think) and it was a very nice instrument. In particular, the low register was very vibrant. The mechanism was as fantastic as you'd expect from Yamaha.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I tried a bunch of flutes just under the 10K range, and ended up with a Yamaha YFL 777. The 600 series brand new should fit the budget, a used 700 series might just be in it also! Side Blown often has some good deals!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I had a Haynes back in my university days and it was a sweeeet sounding flute - with the well known pre-cooper-scale problems. If you want an in tune playing, vibrant, responsive modern flute, all the brands mentioned above would propably work. I tried Altus, Muramatsu, Sankyo, Di Zhao and liked Altus and Di Zhao the best if I recall right.
Personally I sold my Muramatsu (from the 70er) and bought an unbranded solid silver flute http://en.lkjinming.com/product/LKFL-563SEB-Open-Hole-Flute-49.html
for 500$ or so and paired it with a Brannen silver head I had before.
I thought about upgrading the head but never the flute, which Inow have for 10 years.

Reactions: Roundmidnite

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I played a lot of stuff between $3-$15k and ended up with a lightly used Muramatsu GX-III. I also liked the Di Zhao Handmade flutes but there are loads of really fine lightly used flutes out there. So that's what I like but don't take it from me. You're a much better flute player than I'll ever be so try as much stuff as you can get your hands on and see what impresses you.
I think you're right about "lightly used"- maybe a lot of people who can afford nice flutes but don't invest the time. And thanks for the compliment :) I do need to go to that place in NY and play on a bunch of horns.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’ve been using a Yamaha 744 for the last 20 years with a Dana Sheridan solid silver head joint with the gold lip pate and chimney. I have used the EC head joint that came with it but the Sheridan affords that bit more depth and clarity. I’ve often thought about changing up but this does all I need for my work which includes jazz and orchestral. I did use a Powell Grenadilla head joint for a while but always came back to the Sheridan.
I know Nelson Rangel uses a Yamaha 600 series with a Drelinger head joint and sounds absolutely fabulous.
There are so many beautiful flutes out there and if I could get over the NYC to try some I would. Travel being what it is precludes that. If I was in the US I’d make full use of getting to NY and trying as many as possible. Although I’d probably end up walking out with my 774 :)
I really enjoyed hearing your track :) There have been many lively discussions on SOTW regarding material (silver vs. gold for example) and whether or not it makes a difference, but it's so hard to believe it doesn't. The prices are so wildly different depending on material. Also, the whole headjoint thing is as huge to flute players as MPs are to saxophone players I guess!

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You may not NEED to spend so much, although I understand the allure.

Check whether Bruce Bailey is still making/selling his flutes. They are a serious sleeper value. Talk to SimonJazzSax for a review - he is an accomplished flute player and was playing a Bailey flute with a Drelinger head for some time.

Alternatively, you may need a good alto flute more than you realize. :whistle:
You know I really should think about alto flute as an option for sure!

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, flutes are certainly more civilized than saxophones and probably the label "horn" is a little crude! :)

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Hi Alex: Your flute playing was absolutely wonderful. Soprano too. You've inspired me to go back to my flute (Haynes 38775/1977) playing. I've laid off flute for a long time, mostly 'cause I felt frustrated with an instrument that didn't have the volume I wanted for jazz, but electronics have changed that problem. I was a flute major in college because the flute parts were more interesting than the saxophone parts in band. I actually played tenor first though and clarinet & flute later.
We'll see what happens. Thanks for your great recordings on SOTW.
George

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
You know I really should think about alto flute as an option for sure!
That's what I was thinking too. You have a great sound on your Haynes. What don't you like about it?
I have a 1977 Haynes that I really like a lot and would rather look for an Alto than change flutes.
Good luck with your decision.
George

·
Premium Member
1,156 Posts
That's what I was thinking too. You have a great sound on your Haynes. What don't you like about it?
I have a 1977 Haynes that I really like a lot and would rather look for an Alto than change flutes.
Good luck with your decision.
George
Alto is a great option. Like the Fluegelhorn of the Flute family. I have Bass too but that is another story :LOL:

·
Premium Member
1,156 Posts
Hi Alex: Your flute playing was absolutely wonderful. Soprano too. You've inspired me to go back to my flute (Haynes 38775/1977) playing. I've laid off flute for a long time, mostly 'cause I felt frustrated with an instrument that didn't have the volume I wanted for jazz, but electronics have changed that problem. I was a flute major in college because the flute parts were more interesting than the saxophone parts in band. I actually played tenor first though and clarinet & flute later.
We'll see what happens. Thanks for your great recordings on SOTW.
George
Thanks George. Glad that got you back to the flute. Love to hear you on that Haynes.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts