Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for some opinions on this Big B tenor (serial 300xxx) for sale. It's about a 1 1/2 hour drive, so I'm trying to decide if it's worth the time.
I'm no expert, but this looks like an obvious relacquer to me. Opinions?
It also looks like not all the snap-in pads are there. The seller is not a sax player and can't give me much information.
All I have are these few pictures to go by. Assuming the horn plays well and only needs some minor adjustments and a couple pads,
what would be a fair price for this tenor? I believe the seller is asking $1200.

Attachments

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,552 Posts
Looks not only a relacquer but also a much lighter hue than it probably was . At that price is very cheap and it should hardly matter unless you are a fanatic collector.

How can you say, from pictures that the snap in are not all in there? And even then, does it matter if not for collection purposes?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks not only a relacquer but also a much lighter hue than it probably was . At that price is very cheap and it should hardly matter unless you are a fanatic collector.

How can you say, from pictures that the snap in are not all in there? And even then, does it matter if not for collection purposes?
If you expand the size of the 1st picture, it looks like the F pad is a snap-in, but the E and D are not.
But you are correct, it doesn't really matter as far as playability.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,492 Posts
Relacquer. Check it out and if it shows promise, offer $800 cash. And always remember... just because a deal on a vintage horn presents itself, it don't mean we have to bite. There's always another deal out there.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
If the MPC comes with it and it is an original Ebolin in good condition then that adds another $200 to $300 to the value of the package.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Relacquer. Check it out and if it shows promise, offer $800 cash. And always remember... just because a deal on a vintage horn presents itself, it don't mean we have to bite. There's always another deal out there.
+1, well said

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
The original Ebolins would have a serial number, correct?
Yes and there were different font sizes during their run. Look here:
http://www.saxmundstykker.dk/MPC_Brillys_Time_Line.html

As for adding $2-300 to the value. I disagree. Maybe $150 tops, unless it's a very early Great Neck Ebolin. However......and no offense to the seller.....but it's not your job to inform him/her of any of this. I always feel it's a seller's job to do their homework and research something they put on the marketplace. It's not like you're trying to swindle anyone. They try to get what it's worth according to their "position" as do you.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Yes and there were different font sizes during their run. Look here:
http://www.saxmundstykker.dk/MPC_Brillys_Time_Line.html

As for adding $2-300 to the value. I disagree. Maybe $150 tops, unless it's a very early Great Neck Ebolin. However......and no offense to the seller.....but it's not your job to inform him/her of any of this. I always feel it's a seller's job to do their homework and research something they put on the marketplace. It's not like you're trying to swindle anyone. They try to get what it's worth according to their "position" as do you.
Here is another good overview: https://theowanne.com/knowledge/mouthpiece-museum/brilhart-mouthpieces/

I have seen some good ones on fleabay for up to $400.- Not that I would pay that much but they are great pieces, albeit not necessarily a good match for the old Bueschers. I tried my Tonalin on the 156 and it sounded pretty terrible whereas it is great on my B&S. Anyway, I only thought I mention it. I bought a Conn Shooting Star (Elkhart) alto for $150 with a nice Tonalin which by itself would have commanded that price.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,228 Posts
First off, these are great tenors! Considerably undervalued, given what you are getting.

Yes it's a relac (looks like a good job), but that really doesn't matter much, given it will not affect how the horn plays. Playing condition is far more important. I'd definitely go and check it out, play it, and see how you like it. You can always offer a bit less, pointing out that it's a relac, but I sure wouldn't make the relac a deal killer. These horns are actually worth more than their market value, imo. So you're getting a lot of horn for $1200. And maybe you can talk the price down a bit.

Right now I'm just about to leave for an early evening gig and I'm taking my 131,xxx silverplated 156 'Crat tenor (same model horn being discussed here), leaving the MKVI in the closet.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I think Grumps has said this before -- it stuck in my head and saved me from some impulsive blunders.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
First off, these are great tenors! Considerably undervalued, given what you are getting.

Yes it's a relac (looks like a good job), but that really doesn't matter much, given it will not affect how the horn plays. Playing condition is far more important. I'd definitely go and check it out, play it, and see how you like it. You can always offer a bit less, pointing out that it's a relac, but I sure wouldn't make the relac a deal killer. These horns are actually worth more than their market value, imo. So you're getting a lot of horn for $1200. And maybe you can talk the price down a bit.

Right now I'm just about to leave for an early evening gig and I'm taking my 131,xxx silverplated 156 'Crat tenor (same model horn being discussed here), leaving the MKVI in the closet.
+1 My MK VI has not left the closet since I got the 156

·
Registered
183 Posts
Don't look like a re-lacquer to me. Unless it's been a while ago since it was done. There's spotting at the bell/bow area and light scratching at G# and F. Ask the seller would be your best bet, you are only going to get guess work here.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,356 Posts
Don't look like a re-lacquer to me. Unless it's been a while ago since it was done.
How would the date it was done make it a relacquer or not??

you are only going to get guess work here.
You'd be surprised, there are some very experienced people here. (See above)

Buffed engraving seems quite obvious.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,228 Posts
+1 My MK VI has not left the closet since I got the 156
Yeah, but don't get me wrong. I'm not saying I really prefer the Buescher; I play the VI about 90% of the time (I've had it since 1980 and it's part of me, like a well broken-in pair of shoes--sort of :)). But my point is I think the Buescher compares favorably to the VI, and yet you can pick one up (the Buescher) for a fraction of the price of a VI!

OP--+1 to what Grumps says. Listen to him, he knows what he's talking about.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Don't look like a re-lacquer to me. Unless it's been a while ago since it was done. There's spotting at the bell/bow area and light scratching at G# and F. Ask the seller would be your best bet, you are only going to get guess work here.
Having a Big B myself that's original lacquer in the 297xxx range, I can confidently say that's a re-lacquer. That doesn't look like a terrible job on the relaq, but it's a much lighter color than original laq. and you can also quite easily see that it's been buffed a bit. Again, not terrible but it definitely has seen a buffing wheel. Just because there are a few scratches and spotting doesn't mean anything. Relaq's get scratches and spotting too. Just sayin'.......

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
In this case I am very certain it is a relacquer... compare it to any original lacquer Big B and it will be extremely obvious

1 - 20 of 44 Posts