Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering purchasing one of Ralph Morgan's Florida or Indiana mouthpieces for my low A bari. I swear by my Morgan Excelsior 8L on my tenor after going through a lot of decent and not so good tenor pieces over the last few years. Morgans are expensive and my mild reluctance to the purchase is that I do not know any players who use one on bari and there is little info on this site (positive or negative) relative to Morgan bari pieces. I tried to search, but did not find much and I prefer to think that the info isn't there, rather than I am an incompetent user of search functions.
I am aware that just because a makers tenor mouthpiece is perfect for a given player/sax, it doesn't always follow that their bari pieces will give that player/horn combo the same great results.
Any bari players out there using a Morgan?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,115 Posts
I’ve had an Indiana for a couple of years now. Excellent in every way. I had an Erik G custom HR yanagisawa and a Lamberson DD prior and the Indiana sits perfectly in the middle, plenty of focus and punch balanced with depth and warmth.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I have been using the Morgan GM (Gregory Morgan) bari piece for several months. These are quite good, moderately bright and easy to control, tune well and are reed friendly.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds good and the written feedback is very positive. Thanks to those who have responded so far. I have been overjoyed with my Morgan tenor mpc. and was hoping to hear good things from the bari crowd. I think I now see another Morgan mpc coming into focus...

·
Registered
S: SA II. A+T: Martin HC1 T: Mark VI A:39 King Zephyr B: Martin HC imperial
197 Posts
Best Review is attached. I have an Indiana - XL. Probably best piece out there for a vintage Bari looking for a sound with some bite. I tried the GM. beautiful piece but not enough chamber. volume for a vintage Martin.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have 2 GM bari mp (#7, #5) and feel ready for any gig that might come along. Very easy to control, balanced registers, versatile. I'm done searching after playing many other different models.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Precision finished bari mouthpieces are expensive. There isn't much getting around that. You can save a bit if you can find one used but there aren't as many out there on the used market as alto and tenor pieces and you could spend years waiting to get one if you're particular about tip opening.

I'm sure there are many players using these just not Cuber, DiBlasio, Smulyan, Leo P, etc. but I don't think that is the most important metric to use when choosing a piece for yourself. I own a lot of bari pieces and for me it's easier to back off on a piece that may play a bit brighter when pushed than get brightness out of a naturally darker playing piece so I typically play pieces with some baffle. I also prefer bari pieces with lower beak angles than these and most hard rubber pieces so while I could probably get the sound I might like out of one of these for jazz combo use I'd likely never get totally comfortable with it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some great advice which I appreciate and thanks for the videos.
KeithL, I was not as clear as I could have been in my initial post. When I said I could not find anyone using Morgans, I meant among the local players in my area. Initially, I had hoped to find someone who would be willing to lend me a mpc that I could try. So far I have not fallen into the abyss of purchasing equipment solely because it is used by a well known player. I am nowhere near that level and know my current limitations. Someday, perhaps, with a lot more time and practice.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Well my advice there is to keep posting here at SOTW until you get Marketplace privileges and then keep an eye out for pieces that interest you. I haven't seen many Morgan bari pieces come up but you can always start a WTB post and you might find someone who has one they aren't playing much and willing to sell. You'll also see other similar pieces you might find interesting.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
The Mouthpiece Cafe Grande Supreme is also a good choice ( tangentially related to Morgan since the Morgan guys run it). They play big and bright, a good choice if you like a softer reed, and they tune well on Conn 12m baris.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
2,064 Posts
The Mouthpiece Cafe Grande Supreme is also a good choice ( tangentially related to Morgan since the Morgan guys run it). They play big and bright, a good choice if you like a softer reed, and they tune well on Conn 12m baris.
Not on my Conn 12m they don't tune well. Nor on Erik Grieffenhagen's 12m bari. But Morgans are available with extra long shanks.

·
Registered
S: SA II. A+T: Martin HC1 T: Mark VI A:39 King Zephyr B: Martin HC imperial
197 Posts
Initially, I had hoped to find someone who would be willing to lend me a mpc that I could try.
Morgan has a try at home program. You can try up to fice at a time. If you buy one you pay just shipping back.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,561 Posts
Not on my Conn 12m they don't tune well. Nor on Erik Grieffenhagen's 12m bari. But Morgans are available with extra long shanks.
They tune well on my 33 12M, however I’ve never really had any issues with any piece that has a larger chamber.
I had to have mine touched up by Sebastian Knox as it was very prone to squeaking.
The Aizen SL baritone piece is very similar to the Grande piece but is a better made version of it in hard rubber with a better facing.

·
2,064 Posts
I am considering purchasing one of Ralph Morgan's Florida or Indiana mouthpieces for my low A bari. I swear by my Morgan Excelsior 8L on my tenor after going through a lot of decent and not so good tenor pieces over the last few years. Morgans are expensive and my mild reluctance to the purchase is that I do not know any players who use one on bari and there is little info on this site (positive or negative) relative to Morgan bari pieces. I tried to search, but did not find much and I prefer to think that the info isn't there, rather than I am an incompetent user of search functions.
I am aware that just because a makers tenor mouthpiece is perfect for a given player/sax, it doesn't always follow that their bari pieces will give that player/horn combo the same great results.
Any bari players out there using a Morgan?

I have the bari Florida 110. What do you want to know about it? I think it's a great sounding piece. They have a great return policy, so there's no risk.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I have a Morgan GM 8* (equivalent to a Link 6*) which I love. It tunes well on my Buescher Custom Built Aristo even though it is not the extended version.

Reactions: Tryptykon

·
2,064 Posts
I really like my Morgan Florida 9. The recent video reviews didn't really do it justice in my opinion. As for whether it will work in a section? Yes!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,315 Posts
I love everything about my Morgan Vintage bari sax mouthpiece except I wish I could get hold of an 8 opening. I very much agree with the comments above that you cannot go wrong, neither with product nor customer service.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts