Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I havent tried them but dont like the sound

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been using legeres for around a year and I like them, however some say they sound bad and not full. I would just like to know everyone’s opinion on them. Specifically sound, but everything helps.

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
You don't even have to perform a search on this topic. Just scroll down the list of threads in this very subforum (Reeds) and you'll find more discussions of Legere reeds, and synth reeds in general, than you can shake a licorice stick at. Legere reeds are virtually a constant subject of conversation here -- hundreds of messages already available read.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was just looking for a poll to do. Most of those threads are about specifics, like using them on soprano, using a tenor on an alto, etc.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I think they sound okay, I've used them. I prefer a good cane reed, but it is convenient when you need a reed that you don't have to keep wet, etc.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
I know two very good players who use them exclusively on all saxophones. They're okay, but I personally think they sounded better on cane. However, I've been using Legere's on clarinet for years now and LOVE them. Whatever floats yer boat....

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,071 Posts
For me Legere's rock! I was using the Signature but switched to the Studio which sounds much fuller and articulation is more accurate.

·
Registered
Primarily Tenor with occasional Alto
1,558 Posts
I like them on my higher baffle, smaller chamber mouthpieces (Signature). Seems to make it less edgy and less high eq than cane reeds and been alternating 2 Legere's for neary a year now and playing about half the time on outdoor gigs with great results. Like Brian I think I will try some Studio models to see if that works well for me. On darker pieces I still prefer cane reeds...have a bit more zing/pop to them.

·
Registered
T880, YTS-82Z; B991; 'Crat 1 alto
1,257 Posts
I use Legere but I have two issues with them.

First, now I find I have to adjust quite a bit when playing cane reeds again . . . which I have to do because, second, they are sometimes hard to find.

I’ve been searching around for my last tenor Legere for days now. Yeah, I have since bought two more, having given up the search.
I think in some other thread someone suggested they add color, and I would concur.

And third thing I don’t like is the cost (especially for those of us who misplace things). Make that three issues with them.

But overall I still like and use them.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,775 Posts
The closest thing I've found to real cane, feel and sound-wise, (Signature series) but that being said I still prefer cane.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Yes for me and Im using Signature series on tenor. Since I'm just a weekend warrior, my initial investment lasts forever.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
The difference in sound is so small that I feel the convenience and consistency is well worth the trade off. I have used Legere Signatures on bari for two years and love them. I am just now trying to find the strength that works on my tenor mouthpiece, and I think I will go that direction as well. My private teacher who is a professional clarinetist has gone to the Legere Signature European Cut and sounds just as good as he ever did on cane reeds.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Don't like the alto Signature I bought. Sounds and feels muffled, without much complexity to the tone. Could be me.

I also hate the way they feel on the tongue--so smooth and slippery. Guess that could be me too. :tongue9:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,579 Posts
they are too expensive . It's just a reed , who cares , a good player can make anything work. I used them when they were under $10. The current prices are an insult to me,(maybe not to you?) but I won't support a company that overcharges on it's product. Now a lot of the cost probably goes to advertising and endorsements.I also have no $500+ mouthpieces.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Another weekend warrior, whatever that is; ie. I play a few gigs and practice daily. I love them. They are always ready to go, they last for a long time. I use them on clar, alto and tenor. Right now, I’m using a tenor on my rental alto as the cane reeds that came with the horn were too hard.
The best

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
A primo cane reed will sound better than a Legere (signature)... but only for a couple hours before it becomes ho-hum. And great reeds you find what, maybe 20% of the time in a box?

I like Legere because it's as good as a decent reed, but far more consistent, far more long lasting, and less fussy. Not having to moisten the reed is pretty amazing when you get used to it. It sounds like a B-grade reed, but stays that way for a long time.

Can't stand other synthetic reeds, which includes Fibracell and Forestone.

·
Banned
652 Posts
I’ve been using legeres for around a year and I like them, however some say they sound bad and not full. I would just like to know everyone’s opinion on them. Specifically sound, but everything helps.
Well, I think they sound OK, but not as good as quality cane. I would play them for the convenience and consistency alone, but for the expense. I tend to wear out my reeds fast because I play so much, and synthetics get very expensive using them regularly.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,586 Posts
I don't like them for tenor or alto, but I have been using Legere classic on bari for about 10 years. They are loud and durable.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,775 Posts
Don't like the alto Signature I bought. Sounds and feels muffled, without much complexity to the tone. Could be me.
Funny you posted this, I had rehearsal last night (loud band) and had a tenor legere sig 2.5 in the case so I gave it another shot. I found what you posted above- it sounded muffled and small. I put on the reed I've been using the last few days and everything opened way up. I have a feeling that these will work well on some mouthpieces and not so well on others. Just a hunch.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts