Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:line6: I just aquired an old 'no usa' florida link which is a 6 opening. Ive been playing on a 7* florida for a while now so thought I might get the 6 opened up to around an 8 by Freddie Gregory. I picked Freddie coz he's closest to me here in europe.

Im after a Grant Stewart type sound and although the 6 blows suprisingly well, it has got abit of a sharper, thinner sound in the upper register where as I'd like a fuller and thicker tone up there.

Any opinions on Freddie's work at refacing links? Do you think its safe opening a piece from a 6 to an 8 or might it ruin it?

Im still trying to find out what size link grant stewart plays so if any one knows please tell!!!

You can listen to him on youtube if you havent heard him.

thanks!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,589 Posts
LiAm, it may not be the mouthpiece - neither of your mouthpieces should be getting sharper and thinner in the upper register. That is most often a sign of one closing one's throat and forcing the sound.

Regarding Freddie Gregory: I play one of his Mk II metal mouthpieces and consider his finish work exquisite.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,225 Posts
I agree with most; his work is excellent. But, I hate to say it, it's not for me. I feel the same way about JVW pieces (I know that's got to be sacrilege but, you know).

·
Registered
266 Posts
I agree too. Freddie's work is great. I had him reface some of my vintage links. they all play beautiful, but they definitively do not have the Grant Steward's Rollinesque vibe (BTW i think he plays an open link 9 or 9*) .
All the mpc he works on get his typical Gregory sound, open dark sound with enough edge, great articulation etc...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,684 Posts
I'm pretty sure that Grant's using a Tonemaster which, if stock, lacks the
pronounced rollover behind the tip .

The era of Links you have, probably have more of the rollover which will
add some distinct edge [capabilities].

You might try a darker reed to add some resistance, and pay more attention
to how you blow and attack the notes to get more of a Rollins vibe.

·
Registered
266 Posts
if you have a look at the pics on grant's web page, you can see that when he's wearing his dark blue suit he 's playing a tone master, and when he's got his black suit on he plays a Fla link.
I think he wears black suits on weekends, but i'm not sure...

Thanks for the advices, i have some originals fla links that have that rollins vibe (9* and 10* played with FL 3 1/2 work fine fir that kind of sound).
The Freddie Gregory refaced link are more going for a George Coleman kind of sound, which isn't bad neither

·
Banned
333 Posts
I can't speak for Grant (someone I used to play with, back in my earlier days in nyc), but I believe he would agree that, as long as you can find a metal link that can play & thats not overtly bright, and like in the 7* to 8* range, & a softer reed, THE REST IS UP TO YOU.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Liam, If you can i would leave the link as original and you may find it plays better with another horn some day,later on you might regret it if you have it worked on .the so called perfected links in my experience dont have the Rollinesque vibe ,you would be better to try one of freddies pieces and if you like it get one of them instead but as allready mentioned i would agree they have a more George coleman type vibe.I say keep it original if you can

you might need a nice open sounding horn to get a 6 to sound big enough

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the imput guys! Im not really after that george coleman sound so may leave the 6 as it is for now like you suggest...

One reason I was considering getting freddie gregory to reface the link was becuase he had refaced a really good british tenor players old master link from a 5 to a 10* and he gets a great Grant/Rollins-esque sound...

Check him out and let me know what you think...

his myspace: http://www.myspace.com/robertsfishwickquintet

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yeah ,sounds good.I have seen and heard this page before ,i know the Fishwicks.Harry Allen plays one of those mpcs ,opened to a 10 makes sense ,big chamber and big lay ,easier to blow and good on reeds as well nothing wrong with that.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,228 Posts
Grant Stewart's setup

Grant Stewart answered my email question asking what mouthpiece he uses. His response concerning his setup is:

"My mouthpiece is an 8* florida link, the face of the piece is longer than usual, I think 150 or 155. I use #3 vandoren ZZ."

Straight from the source. :D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,228 Posts
I have no ideas about facing lengths, only tip openings, and if I sound good :D . What I wrote was a direct quote from Grant. Thanks for pointing that out Mojo, I was scratching my head trying to figure out what he ment. I guess a 150 would mean a 75mm facing length? Now thats got to have some floof power.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts