Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I am new here. Basically, had trouble finding the info I wanted. I am a doubler who is aiming to do grade 8 Abrsm in June.

My oboe has a crack, and we don't have storesd near me

So my question is the fox oboes (particularly the 330 or 300)

How do they compare tone wise to the other brands. Would I be frustrated going from a wooden (Tom sparkes oboe) to one of these.

Would I be better to stick with wood? Even though I want the durability of resin?

Do the smaller holes block more easier than on wood?

At the resin ones heavier than the grenadilla ones? Or lighter?

And do the fox oboes work well with a European scrape?

And is the tone a darker tone on these oboes, or a more bright one.

Thanks in advance
:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol.

My teacher is from Spain. His comment was he didn't know about fox oboes! But as long as I had full mechanism!

My clarinet is ebonite (ridenour) and is much heavier than my wooden buffet and wooden Amati.

Interesting what u say about Tom sparkes. My sisters is very free blowing, and mine was before the crack. Maybe we were both just lucky.

I played a Howarth xm I think (the top model... But I think they have a lighter weight one out now). And it was heavy, and much more resistant than my oboe. But then the tone was so beautifully dark on the Howarth.

I guess that is my fear. I want to enjoy playing.

I have had trouble googling reviews too... Not too many that I could find.. I guess oboe is a bit of an exclusive instrument :eek:

Thanks so much for your reply.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts