Sax on the Web Forum banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

· Registered
1,152 Posts
@bostonsaxshop I am constantly trying to find reeds that I like. In the past I have found that I am not really a fan of Rigotti’s. Not that they didn’t play or anything just I found them perhaps a little tonal narrow in my hands. I have traditionally played LaVoz and Alexander NYs and do like the thicker tip. Is there any compare and contrast concerning these reeds? At the cost of reeds I don’t want to just toss money into the ether. The BSS reeds are on a short list for me to try but I just haven’t yet. I’m also horribly bad at reading reed strength charts. For LaVoz I tend towards medium-medium hard on tenor. 2.5-3 on the NYs. Would they be similar to either of those with the thicker tips and at what size?

· Registered
483 Posts
If you reed (pardon the pun) what Jack writes regarding what he was trying to accomplish by introducing BSS reeds, I personally think he’s accomplished his goal. I’ve just started playing BSS reeds on Alto and am finding the “balance” that he was referring to when describing what he was after…not too bright and buzzy, not dull, but enough punch to still cut through.

But what I’m most impressed by is the consistency reed to reed. Admittedly I’m only one box in at this point, but I’ve not found a bad reed in the box. They are all at least very good, and more than half of them are great. I’ve not experienced that with other reed manufacturers that I’ve tried.

Will I NEVER play another reed? Of course not. In those cases where I actually want that bright and buzzy sound, I’ll likely play another reed with a different cut. But BSS will certainly have a place on my mouthpiece, in particular if I continue to experience the same consistency as I have so far. Great job Jack! Keep up the good work.

· Registered
50 Posts
@bostonsaxshop I am constantly trying to find reeds that I like. In the past I have found that I am not really a fan of Rigotti’s. Not that they didn’t play or anything just I found them perhaps a little tonal narrow in my hands. I have traditionally played LaVoz and Alexander NYs and do like the thicker tip. Is there any compare and contrast concerning these reeds? At the cost of reeds I don’t want to just toss money into the ether. The BSS reeds are on a short list for me to try but I just haven’t yet. I’m also horribly bad at reading reed strength charts. For LaVoz I tend towards medium-medium hard on tenor. 2.5-3 on the NYs. Would they be similar to either of those with the thicker tips and at what size?
Got it!! I'd go with the #3 in ours based on those brands. Hope you give them a go and love them as much as I do 👍 ❤ 🎷

· Registered
50 Posts
If you reed (pardon the pun) what Jack writes regarding what he was trying to accomplish by introducing BSS reeds, I personally think he’s accomplished his goal. I’ve just started playing BSS reeds on Alto and am finding the “balance” that he was referring to when describing what he was after…not too bright and buzzy, not dull, but enough punch to still cut through.

But what I’m most impressed by is the consistency reed to reed. Admittedly I’m only one box in at this point, but I’ve not found a bad reed in the box. They are all at least very good, and more than half of them are great. I’ve not experienced that with other reed manufacturers that I’ve tried.

Will I NEVER play another reed? Of course not. In those cases where I actually want that bright and buzzy sound, I’ll likely play another reed with a different cut. But BSS will certainly have a place on my mouthpiece, in particular if I continue to experience the same consistency as I have so far. Great job Jack! Keep up the good work.
Thank you!!!! 🙏

· Registered
SBS311 Bari, ProOne Soprano
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
What is the level of playing experience of these people? Is this the high school crowd?

What are the complaints? If they are too hard, pick a smaller number. There are no absolutes, no industry standards (just like mouthpiece shank IDs).
A few yeah, and then about 3 who are out of highschool, Its about the only sax players I know. I probably just let it get to my head a bit since I'm still relatively to sax and BSS reeds. They usually give me good tips for playing better, really helped me so their opinions just influenced me, my bad.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I don't think I would move away from BSS reeds but I had slight doubts because of those around me, most of that is gone now and I'll enjoy them like when I first got them, probably order some more 3.5 bari reeds soon.

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
38,342 Posts
I don't think I would move away from BSS reeds but I had slight doubts because of those around me, most of that is gone now and I'll enjoy them like when I first got them, probably order some more 3.5 bari reeds soon.
Remember this bit of wisdom?

It's especially apparent during marching season, but don't let those fancy-silver necks get to you! It's either the neck was just terrible or broken, or a gimmick. It definitely felt like I was left out when I saw those in other bands but just let those feelings pass if you get them.
Maybe, just maybe, you know as much as those around you that are influencing you. You don’t have to believe the loudest voice in the band room or on the field. Consider whether the “advice” you are getting is credible and balance that with your experience.

P.S. and OBTW: Reading stuff on the internet is not necessarily “research”. Sometimes it is just listening to gossip and unfounded opinions. Good luck on your path.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Remember this bit of wisdom?

Maybe, just maybe, you know as much as those around you that are influencing you. You don’t have to believe the loudest voice in the band room or on the field. Consider whether the “advice” you are getting is credible and balance that with your experience.

P.S. and OBTW: Reading stuff on the internet is not necessarily “research”. Sometimes it is just listening to gossip and unfounded opinions. Good luck on your path.
I'll put more thought in the advice and opinions I see and receive, thank you. Have a nice day.

· Registered
5,983 Posts
This rather odd thread has had the effect of prompting me to order a box of BSS reeds. Although I play mostly classical and generally use synthetic reeds, both of which I suppose place me outside the typical BSS customer profile, I found the concept of a "hybrid" jazz-classical reed cut interesting, and the fact that I could try a box of only five alto reeds meant I wouldn't risk much. I think these reeds might pair well with the Backun TM2 mouthpiece.

· Registered
Buescher 400 TH&C Tenor, King Zephyr Tenor, Zephyr Alto, Martin Committee Bari
442 Posts
I just ordered some BSS reeds for my bari and I think that is what I am going to use going forward.
For alto and tenor I am using their NEXUS reeds and loving them. They are cut like reeds made back in the 1970's.
Right out of the box they seemed more playable than anything else I have tried.

· Distinguished SOTW Member
9,272 Posts
I didn't like them but my son loves them. We both play MK VI tenor with Guardala 'King Curtis'/'King' mouthpieces, but we play different styles. The reeds appeared to me to be extremely well-made but when I tried my usual strength of 2 1/2, they were very stuffy/resistant. Maybe I needed #2. Whatever, every player runs into perfectly good reeds that they just don't like, so it's par for the course. The reed is the most personal choice a reed player makes and we're all different.

· Registered
627 Posts
I was a Rico guy in H.S. - 2.5 I think, became a Blue Box Vandoren guy in college (3's don't 'cha know), then a Java guy (3.5's-dunno, I don't enjoy the Javas any more), then became a V-16 guy (LOVE 'EM - 2.5's and 3's).

I've played on the "My Masterpiece" reeds, Hemke ( nonono), Steuer, and Guardala reeds in the past - which never really gelled for me.

BSS have been the closest to a "perfect, out of the box" reed for me, with good lifespan, excellent response and good flexibility. Although.... of all the boxes I've bought in the last couple years, I've had ONE, uh, reed, that I haven't been happy with.

The 2's were solid performers on my V-16 7M alto, the 2.5's a little "stiff" on the same piece, the 2.5's work GREAT with the Meyer (100th Anniversary) 6M alto piece. Might sound "off" in strength/feel from the chart and other players' experience, but I haven't had as much practice time as I want in the last year/year and a half, so my chops are a bit out of shape (playing violin and bass, clarinet, trumpet, trombone and drums during my time in the classroom and private lesson teaching will do that to a guy). I find I can "push" pretty good without the reeds distorting the sound and breaking up, but I'm not one of those style players. Haven't quite got a handle on the 3's yet - probably need more time in the shed, hahaha.

As Tony the Tiger says: "They're GREAT!"

41 - 60 of 64 Posts