Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

· Registered
1,794 Posts
They're great reeds, the only problems for me are they are a little too hard for regular use, quarter or third strengths would be good, or I could just try a softer reed I suppose, but in all other regards they are superb, they're consistent, vibrant and long lasting.

Reactions: bostonsaxshop

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
38,341 Posts
I dont have a solid explanation but maybe I just wanted to hear good things about it since I only hear that they're not that good by the people around me. I really do love the reeds.
What is the level of playing experience of these people? Is this the high school crowd?

What are the complaints? If they are too hard, pick a smaller number. There are no absolutes, no industry standards (just like mouthpiece shank IDs).

· Registered
Couf Superba sop, Conn 6M, Conn NWIi and 10M tenors, Couf superba bari
49 Posts
Been switching between BSS and Rigotti Gold recently, both excellent reeds. I like the BSS; great projection with more body to the sound IMHO.

· Registered
1,628 Posts
You should be OK - I play the BSS 3 on tenor and don't find them noticeably harder than the Rigotti Gold 3s. I really like them; they don't get shrill like I feel the Rigotti's sometimes can and they've been really consistent for me so far. They just play consistently well and get out of the way so I don't think about reeds while I'm playing.
I have mouthpieces with a more closed opening if they should feel stiff but I hope they are right for my main mpcs which are .078-.080" (medium chamber, medium baffle)
I ordered #2,5

38,341 Posts
A technicolor plasticover could change the whole game.
It would be the rainbow sherbet of reeds - colorful and not quite ice cream.

• Haha
Reactions: swperry1

· Registered
839 Posts
BSS reeds are great reed. I have a box of 2 and they do run a little bit harder than the other equivalent on the reed table. But the quality is just top notch. A lot of folks like them and play on them.

Also their customer service is really great. I have purchased a few inexpensive items from them and all went very well, including one return that went very smooth and quick refund. The owner is very responsive to emails and very patient in answering questions.

I have a feeling that this thread will be closed by moderator soon because it just feels a little bit trolling :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

· Registered
2,856 Posts
The BSS reeds are more than decent. I don't rate them any better than the Roberto's Winds reeds, they're just different. The BSS reeds are apparently a classical cut / jazz cut hybrid so the OP might wanna' try the other Rigotti reeds. I have long been advocating playing as many different reeds as possible and there are lots to choose from. Here in Melbourne I need to source reeds from five different vendors if I am to exercise my options. IF anyone has a group of sax playing friends pool your spare cash and buy some reeds you ain't ever tried before and all have a discussion about them later.

· Registered
2,017 Posts
I love them on soprano, alto and tenor - I find them to be relatively consistent and the good ones are super colorful and flexible with a surprising amount of projection and altissimo response. They’re unplayable for me on bari, though - too hard or stuffy in an odd way that’s hard to describe, regardless of strength. To be fair, though, the only reeds that EVER consistently work for me on bari are Rico orange box. Someday I hope to find out why.

If you like BSS reeds, you should give the Nexus reeds a try, too - Very similar in almost every way and just as good but a bit brighter and more strident!

38,341 Posts
@bostonsaxshop , since you dropped in, I have a question. I realize it would be a very niche offering, but are bass sax reeds on your radar? I for one would be very interested.
Thanks
Just thinking... If bass sax reeds are expensive a commodity as I predict they are, might it make sense to either read their stiffness on a deflection meter, or send a known "good" one to the shop for matching?

· Registered
4,364 Posts
Just thinking... If bass sax reeds are expensive a commodity as I predict they are, might it make sense to either read their stiffness on a deflection meter, or send a known "good" one to the shop for matching?
There’s the rub. I have yet to find a known good one. Ricos are alright, but being cut for contrabass clarinet, the relatively short vamp is far from ideal for sax, or at least it feels that way to me. Legere has a longer vamp, but suffers the buzziness and thinness most synthetics have.

Apologies for derailing the thread.

· Registered
2,488 Posts
I started using BSS reeds a few weeks ago (for tenor, 2 1/2) and I love them so far. I'm playing on one for this recording on an original of mine I did a few days ago-

· Registered
50 Posts
Agreed, I don't see any controversy relating to BSS reeds on SOTW. The response amongst many of us is that the reeds are indeed outstanding.
I tried several strengths, FOR ME they were dull and duds.
Really sorry you had that experience but thank you so much for trying them!

21 - 40 of 64 Posts