Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

· Registered
SBS311 Bari, ProOne Soprano
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is more of a broad post, I'm not looking for advice, I love my Baryton BSS reeds, but I hear a lot of controversy on them. What do you guys think of them? Bad? Good? Mediocre? I'd love to hear all your feedback on these reeds on all different types of saxophones. Other than your opinions, the only thing I ask is to keep your heads cool, as people have varying opinions.

· Just a guy who plays saxophone.
5,609 Posts
Controversy? Like what? They’re good reeds and BSS has gained a reputation for quality products and service. There’s a few threads already going on them. Haven’t heard anything bad. Do a search; feel the love.

· Just a guy who plays saxophone.
5,609 Posts
They’re reeds. You have to try them for yourself. People saying they’ve tried reeds and didn’t like them isn’t controversial at all. Your post reads like you’re trying to unnecessarily stir up bad feelings.
My opinion of the reeds: they’re really good. I won’t add anything else for fear of being controversial.

· Forum Contributor 2014-2015
1,633 Posts
Really? I seem to encounter many people who don't like them. Even my tutor, who's very reliable and friendly doesn't think they're good.
Boston Sax Shop reeds are an exceptionally well made and well designed product with numerous top level artist endorsements such as Joshua Redman.

There is no controversy regarding this product.

· Registered
4,402 Posts
Same here. Love them. Haven’t heard any controversy. They’re objectively high quality, consistent reeds. I’d ask your tutor to explain his/her reasoning to determine if it’s just a matter of personal preference or an actual quality issue. For example, I can acknowledge that Vandoren are great quality reeds in spite of the fact I don’t personally like them on sax.

· Registered
50 Posts
I'm happy to see so much positivity about them when I mostly hear negativity about them in real life.
Am I missing something? What negativity?

Have you seen our reviews? Who plays them?

Obviously my reeds are not going to be for everyone, that’s crazy and I’d never claim that. Also, I’m more than happy to take constructive criticism from anyone to improve a product. But seriously, this whole post/thread seems weird to me…maybe it’s my OCD, but something seems off. Like, why even say something like that if you personally ‘love’ the reeds/brand 🤔??

· Registered
SBS311 Bari, ProOne Soprano
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Am I missing something? What negativity?

Have you seen our reviews? Who plays them?

Obviously my reeds are not going to be for everyone, that’s crazy and I’d never claim that.

But seriously, this whole post seems weird to me…maybe it’s my OCD, but something seems off. Like, why even say something like that if you personally ‘love’ the reeds/brand 🤔??
I dont have a solid explanation but maybe I just wanted to hear good things about it since I only hear that they're not that good by the people around me. I really do love the reeds.

· Registered
50 Posts
I dont have a solid explanation but maybe I just wanted to hear good things about it since I only hear that they're not that good by the people around me. I really do love the reeds.
Glad you do! Time to find some new friends… 😂 🤦‍♂️

· Registered
317 Posts
... but I see they are on the same line according to the chart
I hope I didn't get the wrong number.
You should be OK - I play the BSS 3 on tenor and don't find them noticeably harder than the Rigotti Gold 3s. I really like them; they don't get shrill like I feel the Rigotti's sometimes can and they've been really consistent for me so far. They just play consistently well and get out of the way so I don't think about reeds while I'm playing.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts