Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your thoughts and experiences on a Jody Jazz ESP metal bari mpc ? I need serious projection, presence and cutting through for two big bands I play for. I'm very happy with my RPC on my beloved B991, but always looking for something perhaps even better. I probably need intervention more than another mpc as I may well have a problem trying out other bari mpc's all the time.

Thanks much to all who will share about their JJ ESP bari experiences !!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have an JJ ESP bari 7* and I love it. I don't own my own bari though and I can say that it responds quite differently to different horns. I played it on a yamaha 52 bari in high school and it sounded klller, I loved it. It could be punchy and raw, or subtle if I wanted it to be.

But at my university I play on a MKVI low Bb 100'000s serial (as well as a different MKVI low Bb, and a later MKVI low A) and all of them are kind of touchy with the ESP. I finally found a good sound though when using RJS 3M Filed reeds and also by taking a bit more mouthpiece in. I don't like an extremely bright sound so I don't use the spoiler but it really makes it bright and projected when you do.

I think your yani will be closer to the yamaha though, so better consistency and tone, although I've never played one so I can't really say. If you got a 7* 8 or 8* with the spoiler you will be able to cut like crazy as long as you've got the air support to back it up.

How much do they go for now though? I thought they were discontinued? Right after they were supposedly discontinued woodwind brasswind put them on sale and i got mine for a steal...$250 down from the regular $450. I like the piece but I wouldn't spend $450 on one, I would look more into the runyons as aforementioned by super20dan if they still go for that higher price.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,064 Posts
Stick with the RPC if it is working. Ron's bari pieces are killer. You say you may be looking for something "better" but my question is, "What is better?" Louder? Darker? Brighter? Fatter? And how did you come to think that the JJ might be better than the RPC, or better than a different bari piece? I've played the same Berg 130/2 HR bari piece for a decade, but I've tried out pieces here and there just to see if I was missing anything. The closest I came was with an RPC 115B but I just love my berg. Metal pieces on bari--with the exception of some good lawtons--just sounded brash and sacrificed edge for tone. But knowing what sound quality that you are looking for will help. Thanks!

·
Registered
542 Posts
I tried a JJ ESP on the recommentation of one of the other players on this site. He does lots of bari work and has the same overall model horn as I do. It was decent on response and had a full rich tone. For me it didn't have the projection I was looking for and I had some intonation problems with it that I don't have playing on other MPs. I had read some reviews where the "problems" people said they found with the type of horn I have were present on the JJ ESP, but haven't been the case on other MP I have played. There were some real nice things about the MP, but for me it just wasn't doing what I intended it to do.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,120 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Just does to show that dexdex and I played the same piece on different horns. We all play a bit different so I guess each experience is unique. Glad you are enjoying it!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,120 Posts
Coming from a metal Berg on a modern Bari, the ESP is very similar, both in feeling and intonation. They also have similar internal design characteristics. The ESP just gives you quite more core, and more dynamic flexibility, specially towards the low dB and subtone end.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have played Jody's pieces for several years on Bari. I have both DV models and the ESP as well, in 7* facings. I'm currently playing mostly the ESP and use it for pop/funk/R&B gigs as well as in the pit at shows I'm subbing on on Broadway. I find the projection, intonation and tonal production to be consistent yet flexible in pretty much any situation.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=41.752546,-71.434451

1 - 11 of 11 Posts