Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, there's a Conn 10M available locally (sort of) for sale on craigslist: https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rch/msg/d/cg-conn-10m-series-naked-lady/6594680134.html

Serial# 266xxx. It's re-lacquered, has been sitting for 10 years in storage, and has some rust in the bell. Are these all bad signs, or is this still a decent deal (CAN $1800) for a rolled tone-hole 10M? To see this horn in person would involve a ferry ride and a bit of a drive, so I'm hoping to get some experienced opinions before committing to going and viewing it. Thanks.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Here is a good video to check out:https://youtu.be/TdvytvuiZyg
He also has one called Overview of a 10M.

The corrosion in the bell is probably not an issue but I would feel inside the bell where the bell brace is located and feel if there is a bump from the brace being pushed in, which may or may not be an issue. I don't know if the price is right. Seems high to me but may be right for your market. Be sure to play it with a tuner and be willing to walk away without buying. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Some points.

1) If the engraving looks pretty good, and you don't see a lot of evidence of excessive buffing, then that probably means there wasn't a lot of metal removed and so the performance will be similar to an original lacquer (though the collector value will diminish).

2) Brass doesn't rust. Some reddish tarnish on the bell is completely benign. In theory it could eventually corrode through, but our grandchildren will be dead before that happens. If you don't like it you just hit it with some metal polish.

3) Make sure all the little set screws are there. Some repair people like to take them out and throw them away and the horn won't stay in adjustment.

4) Weak point of the 10M is the neck tenon, as it's made of very thin material. Check to make sure it's secure in the receiver.

5) Take a good MP and reed and test the low notes (say F and below) for the dreaded Conn burble. Some horns have it and some don't and you can't tell till you try.

US$1400 seems like an OK but not bargain price to me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Helps to alleviate the need for it. These don't come up locally too often, and when they do the "must buy" urge kicks in.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I know that urge to buy when it's local and you're able to give it a test... but keep in mind that it's a re-lacquer, which decreases it's worth considerably. On the other hand, if you are able to make the journey and try it out, like what you hear, feel, etc... then perhaps it's worth it. For a pre-war 10m, it's always a gamble purchasing online. I got lucky.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts