Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Alto: YAS-62S Conn Trany 6M Jupiter JAS-868 JAS-769 / Tenor: YTS-23 & 52 P. Mauriat 66R Holton 241
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I recently received a Vandoren V16 T95 metal mouthpiece as a trade. My first impression was really dissapointing because I expected far more from a mouthpiece which is very well made and used for a lot of saxophone players. Now, I'm considering to sell or trade it but before doing it I'd like to know you opinions about this mouthpiece. I know there's a lot of satisfied users of this model and I'd like to realize if I must or I must not give it a chance.

Thank you very much in advance.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I used to own one of those, it was fairly underwhelming as well. I think these pieces are overpriced for the resulting sound and playability; I found the T95 V16 to have a shallow, empty quality--not enough core to the sound. Buzzy might be a good way to put it also. With a LaVoz med I could at times get an interesting sound from it, but it never really projected well or held together in a larger room. For comparison, the new rubber V16 pieces are a much better playing, and I would argue sounding mouthpiece, and at a fraction of the price...

·
Alto: YAS-62S Conn Trany 6M Jupiter JAS-868 JAS-769 / Tenor: YTS-23 & 52 P. Mauriat 66R Holton 241
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use to play this mouthpieces: SR Tech Pro, Ria 9, ARB 7*. Probably, the V16 is a very different kind of mouthpiece and this causes my dissapointing.

·
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...these mouthpieces

·
Registered
853 Posts
I tried a T55 and thought it was pretty nice w/ a relatively harder reed. Had a nice focused and dry "early Trane-ish" quality abt it. Not reedy/buzzy at all for me.

Overall it was a bit too dark and not lively and projecting enough for my personal tastes.

A T95 is a pretty darn large tip opening, isn't it? I wonder if you might get better results w/ somthing like the T55, T75 or T77. Generally, I'm not a large chamber/low baffle mpc guy on tenor, but when I *do* play those types I tend to like the smaller tip opening best. Of course, YMMV and there's many folks who play circles around me on just the opposite setup (see Eric Spaulding aka HonkBop)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I tried a couple of those Van V16 metal tenor pieces. (T55 and T75)

I also had a couple of Hard rubber Van Jumbo Java tenor
pieces and the hard rubber vans played way louder,
much easier,. To me, that is a better mouthpiece.

The Metal pieces were very lack luster with no character
at all, kind of dead. But what a gorgeous mouthpiece.
Now Vandoren should reface it like the Jumbo Javas or
the new highly heralded Van hard rubber V16 traditional
style pieces.

Good Sax

1 - 8 of 8 Posts