Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again,

I was after a bit more edge for faster tunes. My selmer c* is great for ballads, nice and soft, but lacks bite. I have a meyer 6m, but it is too windy and open for me at this stage. My teacher suggested I try his Yani Metal 6, and this is the result:

Please compare it (if you have time) to any of my other recent clips done with the selmer mpc. This is played on my Yamaha horn, but is sounds similar on the Martin too.

What do you think?? Too bright or edgy? I think it adds a bit of variety to my sound. Excuse the dodgy guitar solo, I have almost forgotten how to play!

Thanks for listening......

Comments on the interpretation of the tune appreciated as well!

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Nice overtones. Not at all bright or edgy. I like it!!!!Warm sounding!!! When I need volume I use a Ponzol gold plated M-85. Loads of volume-no edge. Normal alto piece is a Larry Teal.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Nice going :thumbrig:

You definitely sound brighter on this mpc compared to the other clips. I don't think it's overly bright at all, though. You'll get more brightness if you simply blow harder and really support on the long tones. I also noticed you like to subtone as you get to the mid and lower registers. Make a conscious effort to not subtone, and you'll also sound much brighter overall.

You developed the solo well and have good ears. As far as advice, don't be shy w/ playing out. I hear you starting your long tones w/ a really nice strong attack, but then you back off the sound as you hold out the tone. I'd like to hear more use of vibrato on those long tones too (my personal taste). I hear you using it at the end of notes in the lower registers, but more as an afterthought than during the middle of the note. When you start being more assertive w/ your sound, you're going to get that added brightness you want.

Here's advice that I feel really hypocritical about handing out: When improvising, try to always play ideas that are locked in the groove by some sort of clearly defined rhythm... even if it's at the expense of "correct" notes. Concentrate on playing distinct rhythms, and your phrasing will sound all the more convincing.

Last comment, there's a note that I hear you playing a bit flat...i think it's your open C#. The rest of the notes seem alright, so you just may want to add your side c key when playing that note rather than pushing in on the mpc.

You sound great...I think the mpc is a keeper.

·
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dstack79 said:
Nice going :thumbrig:

You definitely sound brighter on this mpc compared to the other clips. I don't think it's overly bright at all, though. You'll get more brightness if you simply blow harder and really support on the long tones. I also noticed you like to subtone as you get to the mid and lower registers. Make a conscious effort to not subtone, and you'll also sound much brighter overall.

You developed the solo well and have good ears. As far as advice, don't be shy w/ playing out. I hear you starting your long tones w/ a really nice strong attack, but then you back off the sound as you hold out the tone. I'd like to hear more use of vibrato on those long tones too (my personal taste). I hear you using it at the end of notes in the lower registers, but more as an afterthought than during the middle of the note. When you start being more assertive w/ your sound, you're going to get that added brightness you want.

Here's advice that I feel really hypocritical about handing out: When improvising, try to always play ideas that are locked in the groove by some sort of clearly defined rhythm... even if it's at the expense of "correct" notes. Concentrate on playing distinct rhythms, and your phrasing will sound all the more convincing.

Last comment, there's a note that I hear you playing a bit flat...i think it's your open C#. The rest of the notes seem alright, so you just may want to add your side c key when playing that note rather than pushing in on the mpc.

You sound great...I think the mpc is a keeper.
Fantastic advice, thank you so much, and you have a good ear. Yes, the yamaha has a dodgy c#, and yes, I do subtone in the lower register. The subtoning kind of comes naturally so I don't really want to stop in case I forget how to do it;)

I do blow very loud though, if you were in the room it just about takes your head off. I am much louder than my teacher, which is my only benchmark, that and the fact that small animals and children run away when I play. I guess you mean sustain the note though, rather than whimper out, again good advice.

The vibrato thing is personal choice as you say, and I like a fairly straight, lilting modulation, but I take your point.

Thanks again, I shall stick with this mpc for a while, it sounds good on the Martin as well, although it seems odd sticking a metal yani on such an old horn.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I like the sound. Bright but not too bright.

·
Registered
121 Posts
middle C#

crazydaisydoo said:
Fantastic advice, thank you so much, and you have a good ear. Yes, the yamaha has a dodgy c#,.....
actually, every saxophone in history has had a dodgy C#....a FLAT one to be precise. it's just a flat note on the saxophone(don't blame yamaha). if you're going to play C#, might i suggest this fingering:
finger middle D(yes, with octave key), now pick up your left hand fingers that are on the B and A keys.
if you did the number thing for the fingering it'd be:
3 4 5 6 and the octave key.
this will give you an open C# that is much more in tune and has a better tonal character as well. the fingering takes a little getting used to, and it's not for use in passages with faster moving notes....but it's INVALUABLE for tuning.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Overall very nice. I'd say slow down your vibrato and thicken it up a bit. Sometimes it sounded like the mouthpiece/reed connection was closing up on you a bit. You may be able to blow a larger tip opening which may add some of that edge you are looking for. Or try a Jody Jazz DV or an SR Pro.

·
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
grantonsax said:
Sorry I sounded a little harsh, I like your playing a lot. I have had mouthpiece issues with my sound for years...I'm just trying to be honest and blunt...otherwise, what's the point of asking for opinions.
Hey, no worries! I waver between liking the brightness and hating it, but at least it's different. To be honest, all of the ebonite mpc's I have tried sound the same with my mouth, that is soft and mushy, which is perfect for ballads......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts