Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dear Friends:
i am a 68 years old Sax Player and IRONMAN triathlete. I classified to the Ironman 70.3 World Championship ( 2.0 kms Swim/90 Km bike/ /21 kms run ) to be held in South Africa in september the 2th.
i didi not assist because of visa problems, so I decided to participate in an Olympic Triathlon ( 1,5 kms Swim/ 40 kms bike / 10 kms run ) in Bogotá( 2700 mts altitude ).
at the start of the swim leg ( I felt a big pain in the middle of my chest and I could not breathe.
I did not realize I was having an myocardial infarctation and I finish the competition ( i finished LAST...! ).
i went to a cardyologist , he made an EKG and tested a blood protein that showed that I had an infarctation...
last monday 17 of September i underwent an Open Heart surgery to have 3 bypass, replace the Mitral Valve and correct an ahrrythmia.
Because of external blood circulation , the lungs lose his funcionality and now I am have respiratory therapy to recover.
My doctor said to me : You will go to run as before and enjoy your sax playing...
any of you have lived this situation ? recomendations ?

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,801 Posts
dear Friends:
i am a 68 years old Sax Player and IRONMAN triathlete. I classified to the Ironman 70.3 World Championship ( 2.0 kms Swim/90 Km bike/ /21 kms run ) to be held in South Africa in september the 2th.
i didi not assist because of visa problems, so I decided to participate in an Olympic Triathlon ( 1,5 kms Swim/ 40 kms bike / 10 kms run ) in Bogotá( 2700 mts altitude ).
at the start of the swim leg ( I felt a big pain in the middle of my chest and I could not breathe.
I did not realize I was having an myocardial infarctation and I finish the competition ( i finished LAST...! ).
i went to a cardyologist , he made an EKG and tested a blood protein that showed that I had an infarctation...
last monday 17 of September i underwent an Open Heart surgery to have 3 bypass, replace the Mitral Valve and correct an ahrrythmia.
Because of external blood circulation , the lungs lose his funcionality and now I am have respiratory therapy to recover.
My doctor said to me : You will go to run as before and enjoy your sax playing...
any of you have lived this situation ? recomendations ?
Wow! Wish you the best. The fact that you kept going is inspiring and scary at the same time. You must be one determined guy! I wish you many more years of health after this adventure..........

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,448 Posts
Note to self: forget the Triathlon.

But seriously, glad you made it and the sax will definitely help with your wind recovery.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,961 Posts
Much respect to you, Humbardi.

Heal well and continue to enjoy life to the fullest.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Havent gone thru that situation, but wow. To think you're a triathlete, and yet .... I have to re-think my work out load.

Take it easy amigo, heal well.

·
7,906 Posts
All the best Humbardi.
I would imagine that your level of fitness is the reason you are still around and will help speed your recovery.
Time to rest up and get well.

·
15,957 Posts
I had open heart surgery (quadruple bypass) 14 years ago at age 57. I hadn't felt well, went for a checkup, problems were discovered and the next day surgery was performed. While in the hospital I developed pneumonia which complicated the recovery process. The recovery for me to be fully 100% back to normal was about 9 months. I did start playing again about 6 weeks after surgery which I believe helped in my recovery very much.

My suggestion to you is to 1) pay attention to what your body is telling you and share it all, no matter how trivial it may seem, with your doctors and 2) follow what the doctors and any physical therapy people are telling you to do.

Best wishes for a complete and uneventful recovery for you.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Humbardi- so sorry you're going through this. My older daughter also has a heart condition called postural orthostatic tachachardia syndrome. Too much blood goes to the bottom of her body and causes her heartrate to go crazy. The heart- a terrible thing to break!

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
First Sax Practice after Surgery...!
Yesterday ( seven weeks after surgery ) and after talking to my doctor and therapy technicians, I took my recently bought Selmer Mark VII 1978, that had gone to the Luthier and he found a broken pad and replaced it and adjusted all the sax. Now, it is in a good playing condition, but my embouchure needs to develop and improve as I have been away from my sax almost two months...!!!
Related to my first practice, I took the sax and tried different mouthpices and reed combinations ( I have had mouthpiece GAS , so I have OTTO LINK Super Tone Master NY 6*, and Otto link HR 7, Philtone Eclipse .105, Yamaha 4C, Selmer S-80 D ( came with the sax ),Vandoren V5 T20,

I would like to sound like Stuart MacDonald in his videos in Youtube ( Jazzback TV ), and reading about his mouthpiece ( he demostrate differents vintage saxes for sale, but using his own mouthpiece ( Selmer Soloist D, refaced by CDH ? )).. So , I am now between the Eclipse and the S-80... I am owner of another Philtone mouthpiece ( Mosaic ) but it is in Brasil, with my Yamaha YTS-275, where I was working before my Heart problems)...
As soon as I have a decent embouchure , I will post a recording , playing the Selmer Mark VII, and my selected mouthpiece...
If any of you, is owner of a Mark VII , and has a sound as the one described ( Jazzback TV, as in Misty ) I appreciate your info about the mouthpiece you are using...
Best Wishes to all.
you can hear Stuart MacDonald version of Misty , here :

http:www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CUOPhojCzo

and , Nearness of you , here :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mob7S9EdExM

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,146 Posts
Glad to hear you're doing well...

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Welcome back sir!

I liked that video, very nice playing, restrained and musical, thanks for that. A good sound to go for :) Good luck on your journey; take it easy, but as they say... take it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts