Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an open bite. Also have a habit of tight, (clamping down) embouchure. Would the open bite affect embouchure? Suggestions/thoughts?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I'm sure better players than me will chime in.
1/ make sure you're relaxed all over (eg shoulders, arms, etc) anyway. You'll play better relaxed and maybe biting is symptomatic of being tense.
2/ overtones might help as they are less tolerant of bad embouchure - have you got to overtones?
3/ reed / MP combo? Too hard a reed for the MP opening given your experience?

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
What an interesting question. Since an "open bite" is where when the molars and teeth farther back in the mouth close the front teeth are still open, I would make the following "unmedical" observations.

- Since "opening the teeth" is a way to keep from "biting" into the lower lip, it seems as if an open bite would help. Pressing down with the top teeth on the mouthpiece also helps to control "biting".
- How "tight" the embouchure is can be diagnosed by checking the mouthpiece pitch and the pitch of the mouthpiece + neck.
- Alto No higher than A concert on the mouthpiece and Ab concert on the mp + neck, and tenor no higher than G concert on the mouthpiece and E concert on the mp + neck.
- Another method is to play low A and with your free hand momentarily open the neck octave key. If it goes to high A and stays for a while after the key closes the embouchure is too tight. If it quickly comes back down, the embouchure is about right.

You may want to experiment by using a thick mouthpiece patch to see if that makes playing more comfortable

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,793 Posts
Whatever works for you is good.

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
If you have trouble with biting, I would suggest first off experimenting with more closed mouthpieces and softer reeds. Also look at the Joe Allard method. I'm not deeply familiar with it but everything I've read about it gives me the impression following his principles would help break a biting habit.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Would the open bite affect embouchure?
In a word: No.
One could argue that every individual's dento-facial anatomy affects their embouchure, but a premise that an "ideal" occlusion or some "malocclusion" variant (within extremes) somehow positively or negatively affects their embouchure is without any evidence.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,228 Posts
What an interesting question. Since an "open bite" is where when the molars and teeth farther back in the mouth close the front teeth are still open...
If that's what an open bite is, then I'd say no, it shouldn't have any significant effect on your embouchure. For the simple reason that when playing the sax you aren't closing down to the point where your molars are anywhere near closing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts