Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Creativity means to push open the heavy, groaning doorway of life itself. -Daisaku Ikedo

Challenge: Writer's Choice

Since it's the end of summer, no boundaries this month! ANY style, instrumentation, genre, etc.- you decide. Feel free to share stuff you wrote in the past but I really hope you can write something new this month. As usual, share as much of your original material as you want- recordings, notation, etc. and try to comment on others work.

The greatest joy I'm having from starting this thread is playing a small part in encouraging you to take the time and energy to create something that would have otherwise never existed (whoa that's heavy, man...).

Please watch the video below if you have time- it's really interesting. It looks at the creative process and ideas to stimulate creativity as well as the traits of creative people. I know it can be hard to get it together mentally to create music, but it's SO important that you do if you have the itch to do it! In my “day gig” as a therapist, people who start using that creative muscle see huge benefits in their quality of life. The time is very well spent. Some take-aways from the video:

Creative individuals-

-have the courage to proceed and the strength to overcome resistance despite self doubt
-tolerate ambiguity and anxiety- they accept and even embrace it
-often times have internal chaos, but use it to fuel creativity
-aren't necessarily naturally talented, but have the ability to become absorbed in work for an extended period of time
-use periods of intense work/relaxation to tap into their unconscious where creativity lives
-generally feel more connected to reality and alive through their creative activity because they are the masters of the realities they create

The Nature of Creativity and the Courage to Create

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
Sax, Flute, Keyboard, Vocal
6,414 Posts
i have two foggy songs I wrote at Berklee way back in 1976 and in my desire to write more "pop" stuff I think Im gonna finish them now and add lyrics. One is a Beach Boy influences song called sunshine coming on strong and one is a funk instrumental with lyrics called you got me hooked. (in reference to writing a song with a "hook" ) So I give all you the authority to tell me to finish and revamp these songs. (I am going to Alaska on a cruise on the 18th so I guess I better get to work K

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
7,738 Posts
Always seems harder with no rules :D

That said, I've written out a melody - but really cannot for the life of me figure out what I'm hearing in the rhythm section. It's a fun little melody though. I'll keep at it, but I may have to call for help!

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
While I’m working on a new one, I wrote this a few months ago. I play alto-
Remembrancer

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is something from '83, I am still trying to get the regulation of the 1922 Buescher c-mel so that it plays in tune - almost there. Guitars are so much easier to tune :)

Very pretty and melancholy- perfect for the title. I wouldn't know about guitar tuning, but I can't imagine anything harder to play in tune than a saxophone for sure!

• Love
Reactions: lostcircuits

·
Registered
Vito Alto -Gigliotti Spectrum, Eastar soprano- Otto link 6 , Eastrock tenor-v16 6L, Gigliotti
226 Posts
While I’m working on a new one, I wrote this a few months ago. I play alto-
Remembrancer
I like your song Roundmidnite, I don't usually like electronic soundtracks but this one is pretty cool, it works. Great playing and a really different and interesting track. Did you play all the instruments too?

I posted this song last week on another thread, I don't think anyone noticed actually, so I hope I'm not breaking a rule posting again. It's an original, playing my sop, tenor, strat and fishman midi guitar for keys.
https://soundcloud.com/kurt-soderquist%2Ffunky-shoes

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
I like your song Roundmidnite, I don't usually like electronic soundtracks but this one is pretty cool, it works. Great playing and a really different and interesting track. Did you play all the instruments too?

I posted this song last week on another thread, I don't think anyone noticed actually, so I hope I'm not breaking a rule posting again. It's an original, playing my sop, tenor, strat and fishman midi guitar for keys.
Great song and great playing, I almost got a midi/synth guitar a few years ago and I was actually helping the guy who designed the Fishman Triple Play with the memory architecture. The guy was the brother of a good friend of mine so I never charged him a penny but when I asked them whether they could supply a sample to me for testing, he sent me a link to the Amazon page where they sold it. I don't have much love for people like that and the triple play that I bought was a POS (not my fault, probably the worst software I've ever seen).
I'm still thinking about that synth guitar, it was pretty cool playing some Bach stuff with the pipe organ voicing.

But back to your song, the sax "solo" is absolutely fantastic! Love it!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,438 Posts
@roundmidnight: Very nice Sonja. You set the mood very well.

@Lostcircuts: Love the guitar work and you use the sax very effectively. Windham Hill may come looking for you.

I am working on a four voice fugue, hopefully I will have it ready for you all in a few days.

·
Registered
Vito Alto -Gigliotti Spectrum, Eastar soprano- Otto link 6 , Eastrock tenor-v16 6L, Gigliotti
226 Posts
Great song and great playing, I almost got a midi/synth guitar a few years ago and I was actually helping the guy who designed the Fishman Triple Play with the memory architecture. The guy was the brother of a good friend of mine so I never charged him a penny but when I asked them whether they could supply a sample to me for testing, he sent me a link to the Amazon page where they sold it. I don't have much love for people like that and the triple play that I bought was a POS (not my fault, probably the worst software I've ever seen).
I'm still thinking about that synth guitar, it was pretty cool playing some Bach stuff with the pipe organ voicing.

But back to your song, the sax "solo" is absolutely fantastic! Love it!
Thanks so much lostcircuits for the kind words. Sounds like you got hosed by fishman for sure. I don't use any of their sounds, I only use piano and synth plugins that I have. It's too glitchy to use live but for recording I love it since I don't play keys and it's easy to edit in my daw.

·
TOTM administrator
7,738 Posts
Alright well no time to listen tonight like I planned - but here's a sample of the song I wrote. I'm playing the alto and rushing a bit (okay a lot) but I wrote this at a faster tempo that I'm still working up to. Intention is to have the Tenor synced here, and theres a bit more to the song not included!

https://soundcloud.com/user-805266588%2Fwith-force_sample
My question - what does everyone think of the rhythm section? I'm blah with it. But I feel like I'm off the mark on the chords here and there is something simpler I should do with this. I feel like a few lines get really bluesy and I could emphasize the chords more! For a solo section - Do you think running something a bit bluesy would work on this tune? I'm thinking some Watermelon Man style changes for a solo section.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright well no time to listen tonight like I planned - but here's a sample of the song I wrote. I'm playing the alto and rushing a bit (okay a lot) but I wrote this at a faster tempo that I'm still working up to. Intention is to have the Tenor synced here, and theres a bit more to the song not included!

My question - what does everyone think of the rhythm section? I'm blah with it. But I feel like I'm off the mark on the chords here and there is something simpler I should do with this. I feel like a few lines get really bluesy and I could emphasize the chords more! For a solo section - Do you think running something a bit bluesy would work on this tune? I'm thinking some Watermelon Man style changes for a solo section.
Hello! I haven’t had time to listen to the couple of things posted yet but I’m so glad people are participating! Do you have any notation or just a list of chords for your tune? I love how you are Asking for specific feedback. I think sometimes people are afraid they will offend people if they give real feedback but it’s some thing I would definitely appreciate and it sounds like you would too. Chords would help me to think about your question.

·
TOTM administrator
7,738 Posts
Hello! I haven’t had time to listen to the couple of things posted yet but I’m so glad people are participating! Do you have any notation or just a list of chords for your tune? I love how you are Asking for specific feedback. I think sometimes people are afraid they will offend people if they give real feedback but it’s some thing I would definitely appreciate and it sounds like you would too. Chords would help me to think about your question.
Absolutely. I'll share the sheets when I get a chance

·
Registered
3,723 Posts

Let it simmer for a few days, just keep playing it until you find yourself in the rhythm section. And don't be afraid of hitting a few wrong notes, they open things up for a different take

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
Sax, Flute, Keyboard, Vocal
6,414 Posts

This sounds great. Makes musical sense, forward motion and the playing is locked. Like your tenor tone. K

·
Registered
226 Posts
Thanks a lot Keith!

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Sounds great! As I understand it you play some keyboard parts on guitar- I'm the opposite- my guitar parts in tunes are always on keyboard. And post your original as many places as you want! That's why I started this thread, because so many times we post originals on SOTW with little or no response- kind of disheartening sometimes. I like the unison lines in your tune and feel. On my tune I play alto, flute and synths. I also used a retro drum loop and vocal samples. I also used a sample of an afoxe (one of those gourds with beaded net) using a Celso Alberti loop. Feel free to post more tunes if you have them or write something new!!

Reactions: Keith Ridenhour
1 - 20 of 42 Posts