Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I ran into a little problem in transplanting a front F rocker from a parts horn to one which I was refurbing. Rocker arm was too short to reach the underside of the touchkey.

I perhaps could have soft-soldered an extension to it, if I had first doweled the two pieces, but given the rocker operates on a cantilever, I figured silver soldering would be the better way to go.

Unfortunately, I was out of silver solder and my kickbutt-temp torch was also ersatz.

So, I contacted a nice lady who is a jeweler here in town, as she certainly knows soldering. When I brought her the pieces and explained the situation, she asked if it would be OK for her to laser-weld instead, as it was quicker.

She had one of these portable rig in her shop. This thing was dang cool !

Did a great job, a really strong bond/connection. She says she actually does things for auto parts and industrial parts, as well as jewelry of course.

Not that'd I'd ever spring for one....but it did the job, required no jigs or clamps; no flux; no open flame, no mess. She literally stuck her bare hands into the chamber, held the two pieces together, and using jeweler's silver welding rod....pop-pop-pop....hit the joint with the laser.

Sweeeeeet.

That's all.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,134 Posts
Out of curiosity, how much do those things cost?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,885 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah.....one would be looking at quite an investment....although it looks like there are some available for significantly less than that, see attached...

She'd have to do a lotta sax parts for me at $10-20 a pop.... before I'd start thinking 'hmmmmm...maybe I should just BUY one of these'. :|

But wow... they are one clean, precise machine !

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
I wonder why presumably laser welds have failed on some of my spectacles.
Like spot welding had on a number of sports face protectors I brazed together.
I guess as with everything else, operator skill is a factor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts