Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perhaps this has been thoroughly explored in the past, but I cannot find a definitive thread.

I have acquired a 1955 Conn 10m tenor. It is missing the set screws on the upper pillars of two rods. Functionality seems to be maintained. I understand that these screws function to hold the pivot screws in place, but other manufacturers do without this means completely. So my question is...why do I need to bother at all? Some have suggested using Loctite 222 to effect a solution. Would that be applied to the pivot screws themselves?

Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
Other manufacturers rely on different techniques to secure the point screws. Most use a shouldered screw that butts up against the pillar, which locks the screw in place.
Others use shoulderless points but rely on some form of threadlocking arrangement such as a nylon insert - or in the case of some horns, a lock-nut.

The Conn points rely on that grub screw - and without it, and no other means of locking the screw, they work loose very quickly indeed as they're, well, loose.

You can get by without the locking screws, and as you've seen it would be by applying a threadlocking solution. This is applied to the thread of the point screw itself.

If you have trouble getting hold of 222 you can use 243. Normally I'd say coat only half the thread, but in the case of the Conn screws you can coat the entire pair of threads.

Regards,

·
Forum Contributor 2007-2012, Distinguished SOTW Te
3,314 Posts
What Stephen said.

A lot of times the hole for the locking screw is stripped, and I tap them out to 2-56 and use a 2-56 machine screw to make a new locking screw.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steve,

Thanks very much for taking the time to address my issue. It is very kind of you. I have your Saxophone Manual and it has helped greatly with my education regarding the mechanics of the instrument. In the Manual you mention the problem, but I did not understand the issues well. This clarification helps greatly.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
I agree, simply apply Loctite over the pivot screw.

For sure, that's what Conn would have done if they had Loctite in those days.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,408 Posts
I use a 2mm tap and replace with tiny 2mm hex head set screws. These look quite good but the tiny allan key does'nt last long so I usually get 2 or 3 at a time.
BTW SOTW member "Jcaino" put me on to this

1 - 7 of 7 Posts