Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
I wasted $700 on a poorly manufactured KWII a few years back. I bought it straight from Gary and I was very disappointed. No returns accepted. :( Flaws in the plastic bite plate, crooked ligature, flaws in the tip rails, and homemade plastic cap cut with a pocket knife. He may have produced good mpcs in the past, but I wouldn't buy anything from him now. Just my opinion.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
The web page police should be called for the background on that webpage. uuuuugggglllyyyy.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,793 Posts
Where you getting 995? I see 747.50. I wouldn't buy one of these. I don't ever see his pieces sell on ebay. He has hurt is reputation so badly over the years that sax players with any sense know not to buy a piece from him. I must know at least 20 guys I have talked to that had bad experiences with the guy.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
What has he done to hurt his reputation? Sorry I won't buy any of his stuff either to over priced. thats a paycheck for me, or a new saxophone well not new but...

·
Registered
381 Posts
Mr. Sugal is now marketing a soprano, alto, and tenor mp package on the auction site for very little cost. It is shipped very quickly. These are all molded, machine finished mouthpieces which are essentially blanks and need finishing. Very strangely, the soprano is made to accept a clarinet reed, although a soprano reed will play. I did a minimal facing on the tenor and found that it came out way too close, but with a nice sound on my MK VI. I'll open it up and try again and also try to finish the others. Many of these packages have sold and mine was about $25.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,491 Posts
In 2006 I bought a nice little curved soprano directly from Sugal and was pleasantly surprised by how nice the transaction went as well the service after the sale. In 2009 I was looking for a back-up alto and inquired about one of his "sterling" altos on ebay.

He posted the horn for a buy it now price when I inquired and a "make an offer" so after I confirmed some factors about the horn and was ready to "make an offer" he had removed to "make an offer" button and raised the price $500 on the "buy it now".

To add insult to injury he wrote me a nasty letter telling me he knew I was just a bottom feeder and that he no longer wanted my business!

After all of that I sold the soprano to the first person I could drop it on and have vowed never to use his products ever not even for a doorstop.

B

1 - 12 of 12 Posts