·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
4,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: after a couple of days off the benches due to health issues, I logged in 4 hours today on this MK VI.
https://picasaweb.google.com/jicain...ProgressUpdate?authkey=Gv1sRgCNLEm_CPvuvUggE#

Also, weird story: the next horn that's scheduled for a full over, it's a MK VI tenor. It has a full conservatory system (additional mechanisms and such) like this one. It's 1 serial number away... :shock: contiguous horns, rare mechanism layout (wasn't that common around that serial number), one comes from central america, the other was purchased down here in buenos aires, the original owner is one of my local clarinet heroes, he bought it new in 1966. How likely are you to get 2 contiguous horns at the shop at once, for the same thing? And, I have another customer that has yet another full conservatory tenor that's within the 10ths. (the silver plated beater's 12XX00 the other is 12XX01 and the last one is 12XX07)
I guess that Selmer produced batches of horns.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,526 Posts
jicaino, You must be at the center of the 'universe'!...

·
Registered
339 Posts
Juan Ignacio, you make an amazing work. I have some questions from an apprentice:

How do you take off the key pearls without damage?
Can you teach me your skills, if I'm going to Buenos Aires for a couple weeks?

K.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
1,532 Posts
Juan, its great! Can you tell us more about the extra keys, did you reouve the E vent at the back. I've seen one selmer MKVI that had it- like the old conns- the whole process looks huge! Well done.

·
4,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Juan Ignacio, you make an amazing work. I have some questions from an apprentice:
How do you take off the key pearls without damage?
Can you teach me your skills, if I'm going to Buenos Aires for a couple weeks?
K.
Hey Jorge. Couple of weeks... [rolleyes] :bluewink: The asnwer is no, of course. But not because I don't want to, it's because I'd be nothing but wasting your time, my time and your money. The best you can expect out of a teacher is he/she who can deconstruct for you what they do, how they do it, and an attempt to adress and approach why. But this is then like taking a picture (freezes time) or listening to one cut on an album and try'n figure how a certain player played. My recommendation to anybody willing to apprentice the trade is don't wait for the teacher to deconstruct, do it yourself. Get involved. Mess up, there's nothing wrong with messing up. Buy cheap junkers and have a very disrespectful go at them. At the worse level of "I screwed up" you'll still have some spare parts for the future. That said I'm more of a "I'd do it this way" kind of guy. Meaning, I share information. I've learned that I cannot fix all of them saxophones and clarinets... so why would I try to pose as the only human that can do certain thing in a certain way? Everybody can do what I do, it takes passion, it takes means and motive. You need to integrate different subprocesses and get not "good" or "fair" at them. Learn how to file, how to braze, solder, weld. Learn to sand, shape. Learn to finish ans when to finish (pun intended, finish as in the final aesthetics of it and as in when to call it done for the day, done for the time being, so on)
And then there's the linear evolution thing. I can only hope someday I will look at this and I'd think "poor me, I was lacking so much experience back then". I always say that when I notice my last and latest work is not better than the previous, I'll stop.

Juan, its great! Can you tell us more about the extra keys, did you reouve the E vent at the back. I've seen one selmer MKVI that had it- like the old conns- the whole process looks huge! Well done.
Hey Dirk. I have the 01 that's all original (for the time being) I'll do a photoshoot when I finish the 00 with all them extra trills and combinations removed. On top of the body improvement (reshaping, ironing, tone hole leveling, soldering) on this horn (the 00) I did this:
-removed the RH G# trill, corresponding post on the RH posts rib, removing of the lower post head that rode side by side with low Bb lower pivot, chopped the G# lever to standard lenght, put a pivot screw head on the lower G# lever post.
-removed the palm Eb trill, removed the upper post, the rocker linkage and ribbed post that fixed it, chopped the extra pivot heads that rode above the side Bb key. This extended post heads got in the way of high E, stabbing the RH index finger.
-removed the Eb trill (E vent you call it?) wich involved making a new full lenght hinge for D1, turning and brazing a pearl holder for the E1 key, rescueing the original pearl from the extra linkage arm (just so a new pearl wouldn't look as a mismatched color teeth) turning a "foot" for the low D1 (completely unnecessary other than to be able to make it look as natural as possible) and closed the tone hole. This tone hole is the only difference between a regular main body and the full conservatory one. There's absolutely no difference at all besides this tone hole and the extra mechanisms involved. I brazed it shut using a piece of selmer sheet metal, not that it makes any difference at all (what kind of brass you use) but it's nice that when it tarnishes, it would develop an even color and patina. I did this because I had to lift every post and rib up to the bell/body brace. (I mean, brazing a patch down there if you don't need to redo all the soft soldered hardware is senseless!) as a matter of fact the 01 is a 85-80% original lacquer horn, I'll be adressing things differently there.

Thanks for the kind words everybody!

·
4,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After 6.5 more hours, another 40 pictures update. It's there. Just missing the respring and regulation and I'll be done.

use the progress update link, not the first one.

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,231 Posts
Nice

a++

·
4,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
4,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not in this case due to budgetary restrictions. I just started with the 101 (consecutive serial number horn, another VI in full conservatory system) it's going to be all pimped out, customized and then relacquered (no buffing! I'll do the lacquering. Will shoot pictures along the way). I was recommending not to relacquer and do custom work since it's a one owner horn, mostly unmolested, 80% original lacquer, he got it new in the mid 60's, but he says he want it as new, no extra keywork, and he's not going to sell it and he wants it all nice and shiney.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts