Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking seriously about getting into the soprano sax realm again. I had a really awful experience some years back where I bought a 20's Buescher ( I have a Buescher alto I just love), all silver the most beautiful thing you can imagine. Had it totally rebuild by a local guy and yet I could never get it to play in tune. Neither could my regular sax tech of 20 years standing. I returned to where I bought it from, but it was such a bad experience.
So here I am again in the market. I will likely be able to spend up to $1500 or a touch more for a horn. What I am most concerned with is having something that will sound decent (American sounding if I can) but most important, something that I can have a reasonable expectation that it will play in tune.
I have been reading a ton on here in the last month so the real question is: in addition to Yanigasawa or Yamaha what other brands should I be looking at? I am scared off of buying something really vintage again from my impression that the older horns were a real crapshoot as far as intonation.
Sorry if this is so general but any advice would be really appreciated.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Maybe you should have another tech check out your Buescher sop? I have a 1927 True Tone sop that plays perfectly in tune. Vintage sops do require a little more patience and could be a little more mouthpiece picky. Also key heights are very important

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did have that done, by the same tech I have used for 20 years who can also play circles around most folks that I know. His verdict was that the horn could not be made to play in tune. I sold it back to the dealer I bought it from.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I did have that done, by the same tech I have used for 20 years who can also play circles around most folks that I know. His verdict was that the horn could not be made to play in tune. I sold it back to the dealer I bought it from.
Ok. It may have been a high pitch version that wasn’t labeled as such. Go with a Yanigasawa or a Yamaha

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was marked as low pitch, just bad luck for me. Will likely stick with the Yani or Yamaha or the Keilwerth and Buffet as someone else mentioned. Thanks all most appreciated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts