Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think people are well meaning but the biggest BLOCK in my own growth is running off and doing new material before I've done one exercise or concept enough to have gotten the benefit. So when you are practicing by all means cover more than one thing in a session if you can but be alert to the "IM bored or Ive done this for 5 minutes , time to move on. " Or the comment , oh you are practicing what ever make sure you also @@@@@ I guess I"ve been guilty of this also but the best teachers I"ve had and the best things Ive done for students is to gently say, work on that a little longer until its as easy as eating cereal. Just a thought K

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,373 Posts
I think Keith is trying to say (correct me if I'm wrong, Keith) don't be too quick to abandon a particular thing you are practicing before you have made some progress just because you are impatient or bored. He has a good point.

I remember some years ago when my wife went and saw me playing on a gig. She said it was great to hear me actually play a tune all the way through, then move on to another tune. Instead of repeating something over and over and over again as I did when she heard me practicing at home. She had a point also, but she wasn't the one trying to master something.

·
5,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On many threads someone will say I play this exercise for an hour. Then someone who may or may not have tried that says and you should +++++. My point is , dont assume you have gotten to the bottom of the benefits of an exercise unless you have someone helping you monitor or you are recording an coaching yourself. Some things need hours and hours to change/get better. some things months or years. So if you say, I love Blanks playing, I might learn some of his songs/solos. and then other well meaning people say, but also do the cycle or scales or hour of long tones. You get my drift. Bottom line is it just takes me, (me) a whole lot longer to get something or memorize something or play something to a level and my head is always saying. "thats good enough, run around the block, call a friend, do exercise 8 out of 20, rather than the hard work of milking an exercise/concept to where you get the benefit. So, for me I've had to have good teachers sayin, one more week, not fast enough, not in time, dont stop, you are almost there. This whole thread is not aimed at causal players, its the sub group of people really putting the time in to do the best with their talent that they can K

·
5,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats not to say that the casual player can't benefit from doing this kind of work. I meant no offense. K

1 - 5 of 5 Posts