Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bells are either single-seam (one-piece), or a two-piece bell. What is the effect on sound?
As far as I know the yamaha YAS62II has a two-piece bell and the 875Ex has a one-piece bell.
Has the one-piece bell an easier response and fuller sound than the two-piece bell? Is the saxophone with one-piece bell more expensive?

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,952 Posts
I don't believe the number of seams would make any difference. Obviously different models may sound or fell different, but I think that would be due to the dimensions, bore size and shape etc.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I´d agree with Pete. I´d say the inside dimensions (there´s a special word for this used in conjunction with musical instruments, that I most unfortunately don´t rememember now) is what makes the tonal characteristics and determines the instruments playing properties. Therefore the one or two piece bell isn´t a very important task.
Concerning manufacturing I don´t want to guess. But I thought two-piece bells was an old, almost "prehistoric" or rather vintage issue. Are there any sell arguments for two-piece bells?

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
Forming a single-piece bell takes time and skill - forming a two-piece bell less so.
There'll be no appreciable difference in the sound between indentical bells formed by either process, but one will have had more care put into it.
That doesn't mean though that it will be more accurately built than a two-piece bell.

Regards,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts