Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a 25 year absence, I am venturing back to the sax life. Today I played a YAS 62II ($2199) and a Selmer Paris Super Action 80 ($3499). I couldn't tell much of a difference...at least no $1300 worth. The store owner said he could get a 875 custom that splits the difference . He said the 875 has a one-piece bell vs the 62's two-piece. Does the one vs. two piece-bell really make a difference? He also said that the Selmer has metal 'amplifiers' vs. the 62's plastic. Any big deal on that?

· Registered
1,887 Posts
That's the beauty of the 62II. It's a pro horn through and through.

Listen to DTExpress. There's no difference whether the bell is one piece or two piece. And the resonators don't make a lick of difference either. The only thing about pads that really matter is whether or not they seal when closed.

· Registered
71 Posts
I have to agree that the 62 is the route to go. I have owned a original 62, an 875 and now a 82Z. I had a Selmer for a good while but I have always come back to the Yamahas. They are really great horns and that would be my 2 cents worth too. From a repair aspect, the Yamahas are far easier to regulate and set up. Regarding the resonators, the older selmer VI's use the plastic resos just like the Yamahas. Good Luck and welcome back to the sax family. :D

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information. I am basically sold on the 62II but will try-out the 875C when it comes in today. I need to hurry-up and buy one before my wife returns from here from mini-vacation. It's better to ask forgiveness than permission I always say. Besides, the last time a bought something major without consulting her it was a motorcycle which she wasn't too thrilled about:dazed: :dazed: :dazed: . But being a music-lover herself, I think she will be happier with this mid-life crisis.

· Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,243 Posts
Yamaha makes a great horn and if you can spend the money then more power to ya. I imagine you already have an idea for a mouthpiece as well, but, this can make a big difference.

I got permission to buy a 5,000 VI a few months ago and it wasn't tough at all. It helps that it's a good source of additional income for me though. But, I must say I felt really good about the transaction as a result. Keep coming here and tell us how it's going.

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
38,373 Posts
jazzhart said:
Regarding the resonators, the older selmer VI's use the plastic resos just like the Yamahas.
Earliest Mk VIs used flat metal resos - but that just reinforces the notion that the material of the reso makes little difference. In the current model line, some have metal domes (ex. Serie III), others use nylon domes (Ref 36/54).

· Registered
26 Posts
YAS 82 Z versus YAS 875 EX

I played both the YAS 82 Z and the 875 EX in a local music store. (I am not ready financially to upgrade to a pro alto at present - and I have not physically encountered the considerably less expensive YAS 62 II anywhere) but I wanted to share this experience. Both horns sounded good to me, certainly compared to my Selmer Signet, both projected well in all registers, and both played comfortably, perhaps the 875 EX a little more so.
But the 82Z had a richer, more lush tone - a tone that seemed to have more emotional impact - a sweetly moving quality and resonance that the 875 EX did not seem to have.
There are subtle design differences. I wonder if this difference in sound is indeed one between the two models, or was it the difference one might encounter by chance between two individual manufactured items of similar (or same) design?

· Registered
1,887 Posts
aparametric said:
There are subtle design differences. I wonder if this difference in sound is indeed one between the two models, or was it the difference one might encounter by chance between two individual manufactured items of similar (or same) design?
They do play differently. The 82Z is based on the 62 design while the 875 is based on the Selmer design (Yamaha attempted to copy the best Mark VI they could get their hands on). They are fundamentally different saxophones.

I'd give the 62II a try. With any of the horns, you'll end up sounding like yourself. So why not save the dough?

· Registered
1,887 Posts
dwilliams131 said:
Yep, I got the 62II (and a ton of paraphanalia). Now I just need to learn the song played at my wedding before the wife gets back! :shock:
lol~ Just think how many more songs you would've had to have learned for your wife had you got a Yamaha Custom horn, or a silver Yanagisawa or Selmer, or a Mark VI!

Very economical choice! :cheers:

· Registered
26 Posts
thanks, Dr. Sax&Sounds,

I appreciate your concise explanation, and take your bio as significant qualification in several facets, also noting that you own several 62's. At present, with kitchen needing repairs, kid in grad school, etc, my purchasing another sax would affix a lifelong refrain to my detriment to the marital dialogue...nothwithstanding the case that any personal bank balance I may have will be a conflagration in my pocket, so to speak, until I gain sympathy for the argument that a reasonable interlude has passed and that my playing merits exchanging a student alto for a pro model (as well as empathy for the rationale that I deserve to have a decent horn in more than one register). Therefore it is premature for me to explore, say, with my local store's manager, the relative costs of ordering an unstocked 62II and buying, perhaps, the 82Z which has been burdening the inventory of a store which probably does not often sell a pro sax. Needless to say, the ease of a click on the internet to acquire a shiny new 62II, unplayed and unheard, (as well as a large VISA bill and that eternal drag on the future of my marriage) is an infernal temptation.
Your explanation makes sense, in view of Yamaha's dual offering for high priced pro saxes, but I have not seen this reason for the difference, with the 875 modelled on the Selmer, presented elsewhere - I suppose Yamaha would not want to come out and say that. In any case this seems to confirm the sense I have acquired that a Yamaha should be my choice, over Selmer, on grounds other than (and as well as) price - and a complete choice in that direction would lead me towards the 82Z or 62II as opposed to the 875EX.

· Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,094 Posts
dwilliams131 said:
Yep, I got the 62II (and a ton of paraphanalia). Now I just need to learn the song played at my wedding before the wife gets back! :shock:
Now tell your wife you went and bought a Yamaha when she gets back and watch her reaction - will she come to the conclusion there and then that it's a bike or a sax?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.