Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've boxes, probably as much as a lot of shops, different strength, different makes. I guess I like experimenting or maybe I just haven't found the perfect one yet.

Vandoren blue box 3, a bit too strong for me tbh, but the one I got out the box sounds lush. I was demoing it to my teacher last week and he also thought it sounded ace. His view was that it was just a 1 in 100 reed that responded well. After 5 mins my lips gave in an I couldn't really play it nemore.

So, I got a box of 2.5's, thinking the half grade down would make things better, but I tried one and it's actually harder to play than the 3. My teacher suggested I try a looser embouchure and that seems better. Shame if it doesn't work coz I think I'm starting to agree with him, it really does seem to be just one special reed.

·
Registered
284 Posts
The Vandoren Classiques are hands down my favorite reed. They don't play well with some mouthpieces necessarily, but I've been playing them for 20+ years. I go anywhere from a 3 on a .070 tip to a 2.5 on larger tip openings(.075+). A box of 2.5's can have a fairly wide variety of strengths from 3 ish to 2 ish.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Do a google search for the ATG system. Virtually all of your reeds can play as good as that one. Really.

·
Registered
313 Posts
And for the ReedGeek Reed Tool, which is outstanding for flattening reed tables perfectly flat.

·
Registered
179 Posts
...or you could try a reed like Alexander Classique where there is hardly any difference at all between the 10 reeeds in the box, all very, very consistent with same feeling!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts