Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,420 Posts
Wow. My first MK VI I bought in '63. Being young, I never paid any attention to the serial number but it could be just like that one, wherever it is now. Nobody at that time ever thought a horn that cost $600 would be worth 20x that someday. Of course at that time we were also blissfully ignorant that in 11 short years Selmer would shoot their own foot off and end the VI to make the VII. They have never recovered from that dreadful mistake. Ever since then the whole saxophone world has been running around like a chicken with its head cut off, running into walls. There no longer is a 'world's best' and good players are even playing saxes from communist China.
So in light of all that, I guess its easy to see why somebody would ask that much for a beautiful VI like that one from probably the best period.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,013 Posts
That's a real beauty all right. And probably a great horn. The only thing is, I suspect you could get one of the same vintage in top condition, but with a lot of lacquer wear for about half that price. So is the extra 5 or 6 grand really worth it for the cosmetics of well-preserved lacquer? Probably so for a collector, but probably not for a player. Very nice horn, nevertheless.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
That's a real beauty all right. And probably a great horn. The only thing is, I suspect you could get one of the same vintage in top condition, but with a lot of lacquer wear for about half that price. So is the extra 5 or 6 grand really worth it for the cosmetics of well-preserved lacquer? Probably so for a collector, but probably not for a player. Very nice horn, nevertheless.
You absolutely can. I had a nice 103K original that sold for $6500. I also had a 108K original that took a year to sell at $6300.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,013 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts