1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
711 Posts
That's really nice Wim - good tune, nice playing, nice sound.

It's a boring question but what mic/pre are you using for your horn?

My only 'criticism' (but I wouldn't even call it that) is that the piano sounded a little too 'clean' for me - I would like to have heard some grit.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Doc,

I use a Rode NT-1a condensor mic, a Behringer MIC100 Tube Preamp and an M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 soundcard.

Thanks for listening, :)

Wim

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,532 Posts
Wim, I at first clicked on the third song in the vocal/instrumental catagory and your vocals are really really good. If I were going to look at why to hire you, that is your biggest strength. You are a good sax player but there are lots of good and not so good and great sax players competing for many jobs but I haven't heard lots of people sound like you vocally. K

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Keith,

Wow, thanks for the compliment! :)
I love singing, but I don't consider myself a good singer... I'm foremost a saxophone player... (and not that good either, there's still so much to learn...)

Maybe I should change my nickname to 'VoiceForHire'?... ;)

Cheers,

Wim

·
5,532 Posts
Dude, at times I hear some Sting and sometimes Steely Dan in your voice. Don't sell yourself short. I'd think you'd be an asset in a big name band as backup vocal and sax added. Once you're in you can slowly move around to more sax an less vocal especially if you're better than their sax guy. Just a thought. So much is getting your foot in the door. K

·
Registered
711 Posts
That's excellent advice from Keith.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I agree with Keith, man! Your sax is good but so is your voice, don't sell yourself short. Good luck with it all =]

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys... nice of you to say that. :)

BTW, Keith, do you happen to know a big name band that's looking for a saxophonist/vocalist(and keyboard player...)? I'm willing to travel... ;)

Thanks,

Wim

·
5,532 Posts
I'll tell you what Cash Farrar did. He traveled around our area every night with his sax in his trunk and he could talk his way onto stage with the best of them. He's talked his way into gigs in Hawaii on vacation, lots of stuff in Vegas. Hes a very good player but not a great player. He is the best at marketing himself of anybody I've seen. So, you get your chops up and smooze with everybody around. You just never know if so and so plays well but is a pain in the *** and the band wants him gone. Or so and so is tired of the road and wants to go home. Or they never considered having a horn in the band but you sing so well they can't pass you up. So, unfortunately until you have a name you have to do whatever it takes to get around. Cash has alot of name players on his bio/resume. guess what, he heard them play first set, got back stage and talked his way into jamming second set. He is amazing. Anyway, if you aren't working as much as you want to you have to 1. Play well and 2. let the world know you play well. Also, our area sucks for full time music. Here, you'd be better off in sacramento, Reno or like Cash move to vegas. Good luck, don't go anywhere without a bio/Cd package of you singing, arranging and playing and keep a horn in the trunk. You have talent, just work it. K

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi JazzItUp, thanks for the compliments! :)

...and Keith, thanks for the tips! :cool:

Cheers,

Wim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts