Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just posted a new review of the new Roberto’s Winds Uovo {woh-voh} tenor saxophone ligature for metal tenor saxophone mouthpieces. The Uovo ligature is advertised by Roberto’s as being “the only tenor saxophone ligature designed to generate sympathetic resonance, enriching the harmonic palette to enable your very best sound. It opens up, enriches, and projects its sound in a way that you’ll immediately fall back in love with your favorite metal Otto Link tenor saxophone mouthpiece. The completely unique contact points on the plate send vibrations to the shell, a resonating acoustic chamber that intensifies the depth and body of harmonics.” Whew! I can’t even begin to understand what that means…… It does sound good though, doesn’t it? One ligature to rule them all kind of vibe to it……. Cool! Let’s see what this baby can do………Check out the full review.

Font Red Material property Publication Helmet

·
13,703 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
9,048 Posts
I think practically all of us appreciate Neff's reviews because he is always objective, thorough and extremely literate in composing his comments. I think his methods are thoroughly scientific and he stands alone in this field.
My thoughts on this ligature are, I would quit playing before I would hang that thing on my mouthpiece. Even if it is a little better, it simply wouldn't be worth it, monetarily or aesthetically.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Steve, I respect you, your perspective, and your reviews, but FOUR-HUNDRED AND TWENTY-FIVE DOLLARS!?!?! That’s bonkers.
The Fed's gonna have to keep raising rates, inflation clearly is still out of control 😆

(In seriousness, nice honest review...price tag just too rich for my blood regardless of performance)

·
13,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice review Steve! I think you did a good job of honestly sharing your perceptions while still admitting it could all be in your head.
Haha! That's how I approach anything I talk about in life. Music, religion, politics, etc.... I state my opinion but then add "This could all be in my head though........"

·
Registered
SDA, SBA. 62ii tenors, Yana, B&S sopranos
652 Posts
They do not sell anything cheap at that store, plus they are in NYC and have to pay the rent. They are not the only one, Plus they have clientele that live there and can probably afford this without raising an eyebrow.

If you have a diesel truck it's 150 or more to fill it up locally.

For Otto Link metal -- I've always had luck with what it came with or the Selmer 440 or now the Rico H.

With some effort maybe we can quantify what they claim. There are tools that can measure some things. A blindfold test would also work

Over there in sax.uk, when he did a a blindfold test of the 6 HR OttoLink inspired pieces -- all the other pieces that claim to be an improvement did not do any better than the Otto Link as per Jamie and I agreed with him from what I hear.

Back to the egg. It is a radical design. So props for that.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
24,777 Posts
Nice review, Steve. But there's no way I'd spend that kind of money on a ligature, given the fact that I've never been able to convince myself that there is much, if any, difference from one ligature, that fits properly, to another in terms of response, feel, or tone quality. Which could also be all in my head. I'll admit that thing it looks kinda cool, in a space age sort of way, until you put it on the mpc; then it just looks ridiculous. Again, just imo.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Interesting-looking postindustrial artifact with a superhero vibe, like Wonder Woman's wristlets. Visual overkill, like it's not just gonna hold your reed in place but go the extra step of exploding your reed into its component molecules.

The marketing lingo is like whipped cream infused with sugary unicorn sparkles -- all empty calories & air. Jim-dandy attributes without objective meaning, feel-good cliches without context: enriching, very best, completely unique, intensifies the depth and body, you'll fall... in love with.

Lord help us, the word "noble" is in there too. Wow! OK, I'm impressed! Now could you please stop slathering me with gooey frosting?

Yes, vibrations exist in the world of music, & acoustic resonating chambers too, but I fear that these terms have been applied profligately & at random, like the slobber of an elderly beagle. I don't care if this ligature gives me a back rub & feeds me avocado toast, it ain't going on any mouthpiece of mine!

·
Registered
637 Posts
I have bought stuff from Roberto's winds and the service and products are great. But I just cannot understand this $425 lig 😂😂. It is probably worth $425 if it is made by Hermès as a luxury gear for saxophone. The $200 rope thing ligature is already insane.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,095 Posts
I wish it was tested against a top down screw lig with a plate like the fl pure brass or theos lig for links. Against a lig that has to be bent and fussed with in order to fit I just wonder. Of course Steve generally does mouthpiece reviews and very good ones at that…I just find it hard to draw any conclusions other than its very expensive and it works well.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I appreciate the review and Steve is very clear that there are just too many variables to say that between trials it is only the ligature that accounts for the difference.
I have cautiously tended to believe that ligatures make a difference but mainly in the “Rovner vs everything else” sense. And though I don’t like them and find them muffling many people love them and sound great on them so all I can conclude is that in player feedback ligatures do feel different to players, this alters their experience and for all I know they change what they do as a result and that’s the thing that changes the sound, for them.
(though wearing my favorite shirt could have this effect too). So regarding Roberto’s Magical Egg ( there could be a ligature children’s book here), I’d be fine if they said they used all kinds of engineering and high tech stuff to make ligs better, here it is and judge for yourself. It’s positive claims like that it can open up and project that are kind of annoying (open up maybe if you think the reed vibrates better, but how does a ligature project?)
When you get to the end of Steve’s review you see you can have one for as low as $295 which is still silly to me but maybe not for some people, like if you already spent $1,500 on a double ring.
Appreciate the review and I think Roberto’s should do some pass arounds.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts