Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know Ive been asking a lot of mpc questions lately and I think I can be clearer about what Im looking in a mpc for my The Martin.

Metal mpc.

Dark
warm
complex
easy to subtone
round tone
full big sound
It also should be able to be versitile and able to be pushed

Im trying out a Jody Jazz, Im thinking of trying a Lawton P, Ive heard good things about SR Tech Legend or Pro.

Plenty open to advice. Id like a good overall mpc that (as close as possible) does it all. Im finished shopping for horns. Now I want to put a stop to the mpc shopping...even if its expensive. Cuts too much into already limited practice time....also generally annoying (never really liked to shop).

Thanks for your infinite patience.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I use a SR Tech Pro with my The Martin Tenor. Absolutely fabulous sound!
I got mine from wwbw and tried 3 others at the same time. This is something you might look into. Happy hunting!

Randy

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
Bootman said:
1940's or 1950's NY Link with a slight baffle will give you what you desire.
Yep, Sigmund. Your description sounds like an ad for an Otto Link.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
if you really mean one last time.......call Ron Coelho-RPC mpcs-tell him what exactly you want and for less than any Link you'll end up with a piece that works better than anything else will on any Martin horn,or any horn that benefits from a large chambered piece. I played ,loved and defended Links for decades...RPC's are the only pieces that add the warmth and quality of humaness to the tone that it seems you're seeking. They also automatically eliminate those nagging minor intonation issues in the Martins, that so many whine about(throw the friggin tuner away-it's a saxophone!). Stop screwing around with all the other crap out there and just get the RPC and have it done with. Jody Espina seems like a very nice guy and is a great business person but those JJ mpcs are just toys and like all Runyons will have nothing in that you're looking to hear.
What I do know for sure is that when you find a piece that has the basic qualities you want you must give it the time-more than weeks-to learn how to use it to it's potential.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Well, I too thought you were describing an Otto Link when you listed what you wanted. But don't put a baffle in one. Learn to control your airstream and experiment with different tongue positions if you feel the need to brighten one.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Sigmund451,
An Otto Link could do the trick - try one of Doc Tenney's - but don't limit yourself to just metal mouthpieces!
A Lebayle mouthpiece could be a solution as well, but since there's no trial period...
If you're interested, contact Theo Wanne - he's back in town from Europe, and he could help you get closer to the sound you're looking for - he REALLY has an amazing knowledge of vintage mouthpieces, and can help you a lot - just e-mail him.
-JS

·
13,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I havent ruled out the links yet but here is what I have found that I may give a try.

RPC
Ponzol V-V-1
Barone Newyork
Jody Jazz
SR Pro (Im a little hesitant with the larger opening tho...young chops.

Id try a lawton p but Im betting they arent what Im looking for. I may, however, at least try one since new ones are getting scarce.

In various places I have found them used so that I might afford more than one if I dont blast through the wallet on the jody jazz.

Happy to hear experience with these if more is out there.

·
Read Only
806 Posts
Jody Espina's metal ESP-X is not a toy, but an amazingly versatile, complex-sounding piece. Can't speak for the non-metal JJs (Runyons either), but unless you've taken the ESP-X for a spin...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
36,473 Posts
You're still all over the map. The SR Pro and Barone NY are on the bright end of dark - if you get my drift. In Barone's, don't be afraid of the Hollywood or Jazz if you're looking for dark - they are still too bright for me (and I've had several of each of those in the last many years - a silver Jazz 8 being my favorite "dark" metal 'piece on my III). The SR Pro that I had was way brighter than the Barone's and had much less core to the sound. The Ponzol II-V-I just didn't have a lot of anything remarkable going on either. I haven't played the Jody's. Ron had made several good mouthpieces for me - alto, tenor and bari. I'd certainly recommend considering him.

I'll echo ZenBen's comment - if you do go for a (good) Link, don't add a baffle (if you must, don't add much) - there's enough there already in a model from the "good" years. It's all in the airstream.

·
Registered
381 Posts
The finest, easiest-playing and warmly resonant mouthpiece I have is a Link Reso-Chamber 4* for my 60's Martin tenor. It's a beautiful MPC-sax relationship. You might try something like it in you search for a perfect match.
Take this opinion for what it's worth coming from a nonexpert player.

·
13,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, guys and Dr. G Im dont have access to the barone...also part of my being over the map may be that Im not really totally sure I know what I want but I am trying an RPC, A Jody, and a Ponzol. Just for the heck of it Im trying a Lawton Dark. I will compare them all and narrow the search. All are returnable so if they dont work for me...onward and upward. I think I may have a history of trying to darken my tone to beyond dark and into muffled so that is evolving. Gotta let a sax be a sax! Where I live I have little access to trying mouthpieces so I will just eat the shipping....in the end I hope it pays off. Also evaluating my choice of reeds. In think Ive lacked expressivenes because Im trying to get a certain sound by using heavier reeds than necessary rather than adjusting the setup. In the end it doesnt permit as much flexibility....INFINTE VARIABLES geezzz

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
36,473 Posts
Enjoy the Quest! 8)

I've been through a similar situation (as you might tell). Fortunately, I've bought and sold well and haven't had to eat too much in total outlay. The good news is that the quest was well worth it. I've played enough great mouthpieces to be very satisfied with my ultimate choices. The questing of finding The Mouthpiece for each horn also helps me feel that much better about staying with my current horns. If I were to switch tenors, I'd have to start all over again! :shock:

G'luck!

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,542 Posts
Sigmund,
For what your describing I would suggest a Tenney slant link (I've never played one but it sounds like what your looking for), or maybe a Barone Jazz model. The NY's and Hollywoods I played seemed pretty bright to me. I tried a Ponzol ML that I really liked over a II-V-I model. The ML was still dark but had a litlle more kick to it. I've heard great things about the RPC but have never tried his darker pieces.
Dark
warm
complex
easy to subtone
round tone
full big sound
Sounds to me like a tenney slant or maybe another really good HR link. Maybe a Florida or early babbit. Good Luck. :lol:

·
13,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
By the way: You all are awesome so very helpful. By the end of the week I should have a good handful of mpcs to test out. I suppose if it doesnt work out I will go back to the drawing board with the other suggestions here. There is an answer....Im sure of it. Thanks

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.