Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that this will probably open a huge debate and I am guessing that at my level it does not really matter BUT I am working more hours now and guess am itching to buy something for my sax!!! When I bought mine my hubby bought me a selemer C plus mouthpeice - I thought it was great mainly because he had paid a lot of money for it - but when I bought the sax and mouth piece to my teacher he looked somewhat surprised at my choice of mouthpeice as apparently he was going to recommend a meyer -so what do you guys think? Is there a huge difference in sound? Would I at my level notice??

Thanks clare

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hi Clare,

Yes you're right; stand by for a can of worms;

Basically, there's nothing wrong with a Selmer C*, which I guess is what you've got. Thousands of students have started on this mouthpiece because it's a solid step up from the mouthpiece provided with most instruments and it's got quite a closed tip so it's relatively easy to control. Many players stay with the Selmer C*, particularly for classical stuff.

Having said that the recognised industry classic or 'standard' mouthpiece for alto is the Meyer, and has been for many years. Many of the alternative pieces available are merely improved versions of the Meyer, or are seeking to recapture the qualities of vintage Meyer pieces. A Meyer 5m or 6m would be a bit more open than the Selmer, a bit more flexible, more of an all rounder and a logical next step.

Now stand by for lots of alternative advice and suggestions.........

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I knew this would open a debate lol!! My teacher said that a selmer mouth piece is really for classical music and that a meyer would give me a richer sound - as I love playing the blues the thought that I would prefer the sound. My other question is - would I notice the difference - I have been playing for one and a half years and am around grade 4ish if that means anything to you? Or at my level would all mouthpieces sound the same?

Thanks for your reply by the way. Clare

·
Banned
353 Posts
In my opinion, I think Meyer Mouthpieces are better since they are more open than selmer mouthpieces, even though meyers are more open, I see nothing wrong about selmer mouthpieces. I personally think meyer mouthpieces are better because I own one, an open Meyer 7M which is an awesome mouthpiece because it has a great intonation that opens up my sound, but one thing, the Meyer 7M is not for beginners. For me, the 7M is easier to control. This is my honest opinion, because It works for me. What works for me may not work for you.

My advice is to stick with the selmer mouthpiece for a while, for 3 to 5 years, if it doesn't work out, get yourself a Meyer 5M or 6M.

Before buying a mouthpiece, decide what sound you are looking for. Listen to jazz sax players liKe Charlie Parker, Sonny Rollins, John coltrane, and Grover washington jr.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I would advise against jumping straight onto a Meyer 7 (which to be fair Saxman96, he said wasn't for beginners), because you would find it very open after the Selmer and you would probably find it difficult to control.

The obvious advice would be to go with what your teacher recommends, and what he feels you are ready for. In the absence of his advice I would suggest the Meyer 5m, or a Meyer Richie Cole which is a copy of a vintage Meyer and is also size 5.

You would notice the difference I think. Once you've adjusted to the mouthpiece I would expect that you could produce a blusier tone easier on the Meyer than the Selmer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts