Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
2,041 Posts
Awesome! You guys are both superb players and this combination sound great. Love it!

Reactions: buddy lee

· Registered
324 Posts
Very cool. I get Spyro Gyra vibes when I hear vibraphone and sax.

That and...

Beard envy.

• Haha
Reactions: buddy lee

· Distinguished SOTW Member.
5,324 Posts
I’m not chasing anyone specific but I gravitate towards melodic players like Dexter, Sonny, Getz
I would suggest diving in and learning the actual phrases/phrasing that they used;
particularly on a tune like GDS.

If you learn the jazz language of that general period you find there's quite a bit
of overlap, despite the obvious stylistic differences of those three players in terms of
musical ideas.

· Registered
Antigua Powerbell tenor-Otto Link NY ,Vito Alto -Gigliotti Spectrum, Antigua sop- Morgan 4
532 Posts
You guys sound really good, love vibes. Man your sop tone is maybe the most pleasant I've ever heard, I want it! You get such a nice balanced tone top to bottom, you rarely hear that with a straight sop.

· Distinguished SOTW Member
5,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You guys sound really good, love vibes. Man your sop tone is maybe the most pleasant I've ever heard, I want it! You get such a nice balanced tone top to bottom, you rarely hear that with a straight sop.
Thank you I honestly am at a place where I live my soprano tone, I just need to get my improv chops to that same level

· Registered
Antigua Powerbell tenor-Otto Link NY ,Vito Alto -Gigliotti Spectrum, Antigua sop- Morgan 4
532 Posts
What MP and size are you playing?

· Registered
MKVI Alto Berg-95/0
843 Posts
Thank you I honestly am at a place where I live my soprano tone, I just need to get my improv chops to that same level
Try composing your solo without the horn, that is a story you want to tell, while spending time with your friend, GDS.
Think it and edit your thoughts mentally...
Write it down
Play it
Now continue to refine your story.

A story beyond just a gathering of licks.

· Registered
532 Posts
Hadn't heard of that MP before. I just listened to Neff playing it and actually didn't care for the sound, pretty nasally, but you sound great with it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts